Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jensvium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hey,

I have in hard drives in my Mac Book. When I delete files on my private harddrive they go to the Trash which I then can empty.

But when I delete files on my secondary harddrive it does not go to the trash but gets deleted permanently. Can I change this, so when I delete a file it will also go to the Trash ?

Best,
Jens, Denmark

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I've heard of this,and I think it's a permission issue, but I can't remember how youfix it. Have you tried a google search or a forum search? I know I've seen threads on this forum about it.

jensvium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Yes, but I didn't know exactly what to search for so I had no luck

macgeneral

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Yes, but I didn't know exactly what to search for so I had no luck

Ok I think I figured this out:
The problem comes from insufficient permissions.

Here are the correct permissions:
sudo chmod 1333 /Volume/[NAME]/.Trashes
sudo chmod 700 /Volume/[NAME]/.Trashes/[UID]

note:
[NAME] stands for the volume name, if it contains a space make sure to place a \ in front of it or use auto completion with the tab key.

[UID] stands for your user id, usually it should be 501 for the initial main user - you can find it out by going to the system preferences - users - (unlock if locked) - right click the user name - advanced - it's in the topmost field.

if the folder .Trashes or [UID] doesn't exist, create them and then apply the above permissions:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/[NAME]/.Trashes
sudo mkdir /Volumes/[NAME]/.Trashes/[UID] e.g. sudo mkdir /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/.Trashes/501

And when you are finished (make sure you are not copying files etc. in Finder)
killall Finder (to restart the Finder so it will use the Trash)

PS: I link my Previous Mobile Applications folders on my 2nd drive against the trash now (to save some space by not keeping old versions of iOS Apps):
ln -sfv /Volumes/Seagate\ HDD/.Trashes/501/ /Volumes/Seagate\ HDD/Users/macgeneral/Music/Mobile\ Applications/Previous\ Mobile\ Applications

so every time I update an app in iTunes the old version automatically gets moved to the trash.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.