Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

critter43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2023
I finally gave in to the update prompt and did it. Now my 2019 Mac Pro boots but there is no video. I can log into it from another computer and see that everything looks normal including Finder running. Killing Finder had not affect. Resetting the SMC had no effect. Since it was fine before the update, if feels like a software issue. I don't see how I can run restore without video. Any ideas how to fix this? I could make a bootable usb on a 16,1 iMac but I don't know if that would be useful.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I finally gave in to the update prompt and did it. Now my 2019 Mac Pro boots but there is no video. I can log into it from another computer and see that everything looks normal including Finder running. Killing Finder had not affect. Resetting the SMC had no effect. Since it was fine before the update, if feels like a software issue. I don't see how I can run restore without video. Any ideas how to fix this? I could make a bootable usb on a 16,1 iMac but I don't know if that would be useful.
Did you try completely disconnect the monitor (both from the computer and form the power source), then re-connect it again?

This may force the7,1 to re-detect the monitor, and communicate with it again.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
There is a known weird behavior of AMD Cards with MacPro7,1 SMBIOS when using the Verbose Option while Booting leading to a blank screen on Hackintosh.

Do you have -v activated @ boot ?

Open the Terminal utility and run the following command:

sudo nvram boot-args="-v"

Rebooting your system should have the system invoke verbose mode at every boot. You can clear this by running the following command:

sudo nvram boot-args=""

When logging in Remote what does your System Report say about Grafiks ?

critter43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2023
Did you try completely disconnect the monitor (both from the computer and form the power source), then re-connect it again?

This may force the7,1 to re-detect the monitor, and communicate with it again.
The 7,1 chimed when I plugged in the monitor, but still no video and the monitor power light is orange, signaling no video.

critter43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2023
I had to learn about system_profiler. It verifies that the 7,1 was updated from 12.6.x to 12.7.1 so it did update.
What am in looking for in SPDisplaysDataType? I don't see Grafiks.

critter43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2023
There is a known weird behavior of AMD Cards with MacPro7,1 SMBIOS when using the Verbose Option while Booting leading to a blank screen on Hackintosh.

Do you have -v activated @ boot ?

Open the Terminal utility and run the following command:

sudo nvram boot-args="-v"

Rebooting your system should have the system invoke verbose mode at every boot. You can clear this by running the following command:

sudo nvram boot-args=""

Incidentally, the card is AMD Radeon Pro 580X.
Booting verbose didn't help. I verified that boot-args was "-v" with nvram.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The 7,1 chimed when I plugged in the monitor, but still no video and the monitor power light is orange, signaling no video.
During POST, the 7,1 should only use the firmware's UEFI GOP to drive the monitor, but not any OS driver.

If your 7,1 boot very fast, you can hold Option key boot. This should hold the 7,1 at the Apple startup manager.

If your monitor can't display anything at this stage. Then it has nothing to do with 12.7.1. Please try another cable etc. 99% hardware failure.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Incidentally, the card is AMD Radeon Pro 580X.
Booting verbose didn't help. I verified that boot-args was "-v" with nvram.
You should not have -v with nvram, but i wonder you are using a 580X in MacPro7,1

The 580X seems to have only 2 HDMI Ports, how do you connect the Monitors and what does the System Profiler show ?

On my Hacky it shows also in Remote:

1702017546780.png

On my German System it shows up like this:

1702017746611.png

1702016199835.png

Then you can see if your Card shows up and how.

If the Monitor shows up under Displays you can try to set fixed refresh rate and change resolution....

1702016600114.png

Post your views.....

I can configure my Displays also while Connecting Remote...

Last edited:

critter43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2023
During POST, the 7,1 should only use the firmware's UEFI GOP to drive the monitor, but not any OS driver.

If your 7,1 boot very fast, you can hold Option key boot. This should hold the 7,1 at the Apple startup manager.

If your monitor can't display anything at this stage. Then it has nothing to do with 12.7.1. Please try another cable etc. 99% hardware failure.
Holding the Option key seems to have stopped it at boot selection as it won't respond to ping but no video. I agree, this is looking like hardware but it is so strange to fail on reboot after the update to 12.7.1. Unless the update borked the firmware.

critter43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2023
You should not have -v with nvram, but i wonder you are using a 580X in MacPro7,1

The 580X seems to have only 2 HDMI Ports, how do you connect the Monitors and what does the System Profiler show ?

Then you can see if your Card shows up and how.

If the Monitor shows up under Displays you can try to set fixed refresh rate and change resolution....

Post your views.....

I can configure my Displays also while Connecting Remote...
I don't know how to post views without a working display.
system_profiler SPDisplayDataType says the 7,1 has a 580X and two displays. Yes, it only has two HDMI ports and that is the way it came from apple when I ordered it in Dec 2021.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
I don't know how to post views without a working display.
system_profiler SPDisplayDataType says the 7,1 has a 580X and two displays. Yes, it only has two HDMI ports and that is the way it came from apple when I ordered it in Dec 2021.
So your System is reporting Displays and Grafik Card, you should then as i described be alle to go Remote to Display and change the Refresh Rate to a fixer value......

critter43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2023
The Genius Bar first thought the problem was the video MPX, but it turned out that a firmware refresh solved the problem. Apparently, the firmware got munged during the 12.6.x to 12.7.1 update.

• Wow
Reactions: genexx and h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.