Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shockwave562

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Denver
this might be an edge case, but here goes:

My wife loves her old Bose Soundock and with a prior tv it worked great as a sound bar replacement. We got a new tv with no 3.5mm audio out, it is optical only.

Problem solved I thought, ordered an analog to digital converter on amazon and worked great for several weeks. Suddenly the sound stopped working for video apps (prime and Netflix) but button click sounds are still working so I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. Tried a few sound setting combinations, reboot (worked once), etc. to no avail. Anyone else have this issue?
[doublepost=1526350241][/doublepost]Side note, I shouldn’t say everything was working great. Although the soundock has a small IR remote the ATV was unable to learn it. Back to multiple remotes :(

Last edited:

shockwave562

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Denver
Update: the ‘stereo’ setting in audio options - downmixing for sound out seems to have resolved my issue.

Unfortunately the Apple TV still won’t learn the volume IR buttons, but the main issue is resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.