Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manu86001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2023
Hi everyone,

first of all happy holidays!

I picked up a Mac Pro 6.1 (Trashcan) with 3.5 Ghz and 32 Gigs of Ram a while ago.
Since I finally have some time to work on this project I hope someone can help me with that.

The Mac gives the startup chime. On the backside of the machine all ports illuminate and then only the power button stays lid.
I have no picture using HDMI and an TB2toHMDI adapter.

If I press the diag button I get a green light from LED 1 and 4 (and least thats what I am counting ^^).

I already changed the Coin Battery and the termal paste on both GPU.

I wonder if anyone could help from here. Are the GPUs faulty or is it a different issue?

It would be amazing if someone could help me out with this one :)

Manu86001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2023
Update from my part:

after some further testing I get an all green from the diag button. I tried swap GPUs A & B (I know thats not the best way to troubleshoot things^^).
However I still have no picture on my mac.

Anyone out there that had this fault- was it the GPU(s) or the CPU (board)?

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
have you tried the usual trouble shooting tips such as reset NVRAM and SMC controller?

Also remove the RAM and just try one stick at a time. I experienced a lot of weird problems caused by a faulty stick of ram.

Use an ethernet cable to connect to you router and see if the computer shows up on the network?

Plug in a usb drive and or thunderbolt device with activity LEDs, to check if the I/O board is functioning?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.