Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Has anyone had a problem with turn by turn voice directions muting itself in Apple Maps? Whenever I have Siri give me turn by turn directions using Apple Maps, it works for a few minutes and then mutes itself. If I'm playing music with Apple Music, the music will become very quiet and muffled sounding at the moment Siri gets muted.

Once Siri goes mute, there's no way to get it or the music volume back unless I end the trip, wait a while, and start over. Then it only lasts for a few minutes before I can't hear anything again.

Siri appears to be trying to give me voice directions because if I leave Apple Music on after it gets muffled, I'll still hear blips of silence when the directions would normally be getting voiced to me.

This issue does appear to be specific to Apple Maps. If I use Apple Music alone, my audio feed stays normal. If I use Google Maps instead, everything works as expected and the voice directions stays on.

It's the same issue as was described here as a CarPlay issue:

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? I have an iPhone X, but this problem started back when I had an iPhone 7 and I'm on iOS 16, but I've been having this problem for many iOS versions now. I suspect I could have another app that's interfering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.