Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Email: tcook@apple.com

Hi Tim,

Thanks for all the great Apple products.

I have a homepod, homepod mini, iPhone 11, iPad and they are brilliant, well supported products!

However, I also have a Stainless Steel S3 LTE Apple Watch (which I love) and I was extremely disappointed at the lack of a WatchOS9 update for the Series 3.

The Series 3 is still sold online, is a more than a capable device, and if WatchOS9 cannot be updated for technical reasons (non 64bit CPU for example), then at least give S3 owners the Sleep app (so I don't have to buy one of those annoying FitBit devices).

There are many posts online about this and active online S3 users (like myself) are slightly annoyed (for the first ever with an Apple product).

Thank you for reading this.

Kind Regards

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple should’ve never sold series 3 throughout 2021. The 8GB version was so abysmally small the update would have a chance to fail. It has smallest screen of all “recent” Apple Watches. Least feature set compared to other Apple Watch. Even the SE is a way better buy than series 3. The software support should’ve left at watchOS 7 imo. What does watchOS 8 even bring to series 3? I ditched series 3 in favour of series 4. 4 years later, still hold strong with sufficient feature set (ECG, good enough sleep tracking for example), and my watch battery is still good.

It’s a shame Apple still sell series 3 until recently.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Apple should’ve never sold series 3 throughout 2021. The 8GB version was so abysmally small the update would have a chance to fail. It has smallest screen of all “recent” Apple Watches. Least feature set compared to other Apple Watch. Even the SE is a way better buy than series 3. The software support should’ve left at watchOS 7 imo. What does watchOS 8 even bring to series 3? I ditched series 3 in favour of series 4. 4 years later, still hold strong with sufficient feature set (ECG, good enough sleep tracking for example), and my watch battery is still good.

This. My wife has to restore her watch everytime to do an update. I guess she wont have to now. LOL

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Out with the old, in with the new.

Jk 😝

But, the series 3 is slow. Really slow. It’s not surprising that it has reached the end of its life,
Especially considering the introduction of the SE. the SE is the writing in the wall for how the product line will look moving forward.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
I think they made right call by not supporting it in new version of watchOS.

They are wrong for still selling S3 in 2022. It should have been sunset years ago.

Agree 100%. It's honestly ridiculous that it's still for sale. The SE 2nd gen needs to be a lower price, even if there's a bigger feature gap between it and the Series 8, and replace the 3.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I think they made right call by not supporting it in new version of watchOS.

They are wrong for still selling S3 in 2022. It should have been sunset years ago.
I’m thinking they kept it around just so they could have something they could offer at a $200 price point in the lineup (sub-$200 on inevitable sales).

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Out with the old, in with the new.

Jk 😝

But, the series 3 is slow. Really slow. It’s not surprising that it has reached the end of its life,
Especially considering the introduction of the SE. the SE is the writing in the wall for how the product line will look moving forward.
I agree. I love progress. But don't continue to sell the S3 if it won't be updated. I bet they won't tell anyone who buys one in-store. Oh, by the way, no more updates. What? I only just purchased it. They will be more than happy to sell them the next model a year later.

Reactions: Tyler O'Bannon

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand

This! Let’s be honest, Apple knew the Series 3 will not get watchOS 9 and they still decided to keep it in the lineup last year. Shame on them!

I don’t have an issue with them stop supporting a device that is nearly 5 years but they shouldn’t be selling it right now.
I hope John Gruber will ask them about this in his talk show lol

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
The Apple 3 was my first watch that I bought to see if I liked the Apple Watch it was okay but got tired of the only 8 gigs available and having to delete apps to do os updates all the time I finally went out and bought the Apple Watch se and could not be more happier with it.

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
If the SE takes the Series 3's position in the next line-up, what will take the current SE's position?

Apple Watch improvements are so small, Apple can't just sell the previous generation at a huge price difference.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
I don't think Tim gives a crap.

He wants everyone to move forward and spend MORE MONEY on new hardware.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013

It’s a shame that they ever sold S3.

• Haha
Reactions: honglong1976
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.