Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smnbldwn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
I have asked this question on other forums but thought I'd ask here too...

This is a weird issue, I have a MacBook 4.1 that I dual boot with Mac OSX Lion and Ubuntu 23.04. The Ethernet connection works fine in Ubuntu with no issues, (I just plug it in and it works.) In Mac OSX, the adaptor is not detected and I just get the message in Network preferences that a cable is unplugged. I have even reinstalled OSX Lion and the issue persists. It will be working with Ubuntu but when I reboot into Mac OSX, the Ethernet just doesn't work. Any tips for troubleshooting this?

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
That's a really strange issue.

Was the Ethernet port working at one point in time with OS X? Are you using an OS X Lion retail disk to do the reinstallation?

I'd also recommend trying to install Snow Leopard to see what happens. It sounds like there's something weird going in with your Lion installer.

Reactions: smnbldwn

smnbldwn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
I tried nvram and SMC reset but no difference. The truth is I don't know when the ethernet stopped working. I bought this computer on eBay a couple of years ago with Leopard on it. I mostly use WiFi which works fine. I upgraded using the Lion image on Apple's website. I already have a 1.1 with Snow Leopard on it and a PowerBook with Leopard. Weird problem, on Windows or Linux I could play with the drivers, not sure what I can do on Mac Osx.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I tried nvram and SMC reset but no difference. The truth is I don't know when the ethernet stopped working. I bought this computer on eBay a couple of years ago with Leopard on it. I mostly use WiFi which works fine. I upgraded using the Lion image on Apple's website. I already have a 1.1 with Snow Leopard on it and a PowerBook with Leopard. Weird problem, on Windows or Linux I could play with the drivers, not sure what I can do on Mac Osx.
Have you deleted the ethernet connection in System Preferences and added it back in? Sometimes the ports used to get misnamed so something that was called ethernet might not actually be the ethernet port, and recreating that in the Network settings sometimes would solve it.

smnbldwn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
When I delete and try to add back in, Ethernet does not show up as an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.