Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Uh oh. Hardware failure?
No, just being obstinate and fussy. This particular Mac (my work Mac, a 2015 MBP) chooses when it will respond to commands (or if it will respond) and how it will respond - which is not always what I tell it to do.

The day I posted that, I believe it was throwing a tantrum and not wanting to do it's job all day.

I question whether there is anything 'Pro' about this MBP. Maybe it's just a MacBook in disguise, IDK. Looking forward to and waiting for the upgrade that was mentioned (by my company) in December 2021 so I can finally be done with this thing.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
The gap between the integrated graphics and the discrete graphics on them is likely less than the gap between the capability of the gt750m and whatever you need to play modern games or do any non-trivial ML inference. Given that, the integrated is likely a better choice since you can at least connect it to an external display without the whole thing becoming an aluminum electric heater.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The gap between the integrated graphics and the discrete graphics on them is likely less than the gap between the capability of the gt750m and whatever you need to play modern games or do any non-trivial ML inference.
Good point. In any case, the Iris Pro 5200 was quite a decent iGPU in its day but no match for the R9 M370X that the higher-end 2015 MBPs shipped with.

Given that, the integrated is likely a better choice since [...]
...since you don't need to worry about the discrete GPU dying and taking the MBP with it. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So, today the Mac is going through its processes after logging in and I'm noticing that it's using up a lot of CPU.

iStat tells me that the lsd process is taking about 279% of CPU.

Now, this Mac being on drugs would explain a lot!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Marlo Thomas had a show called That Girl in the 1960s. Her parents had a nickname for Marlo - Miss Independence. This nickname was reflected in the character she played in the show.

This thread is NOT about that! :D

Rather, it's about my work 2015 MBP that does it's damndest to act like Marlo Thomas!

Been meaning to write this for a while and am not looking for solutions, just letting off some semi-serious steam.

Does your Mac ignore you?

Does it choose which inputs it will respond to?

Does it choose HOW it will respond to the inputs it may choose to respond to?

Does it do something else that you DIDN'T ask it to do?

How about does it add stuff to what you told it to do, or miss steps in what you told it to do?

My work Mac does.

It does all of the above. I will tell it to do something and it decides whether it will do it or not, when and how. And if it doesn't like what I've told it to do or it's being petulant for the day it will just crash the app.

I am constantly yelling at it to either wake up or pay attention!

I have had to do that with a couple of other Macs, but not like this one.

Before this post I told it to quit Adobe Acrobat. So it did. Then it displayed the Acrobat crashed dialogue. Very helpful, thanks. :mad:

Ugh, this MBP!
But is your Mac missin' dependence? 😀

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
So, today the Mac is going through its processes after logging in and I'm noticing that it's using up a lot of CPU.

iStat tells me that the lsd process is taking about 279% of CPU.

Now, this Mac being on drugs would explain a lot!
I dunno if's an El Capitan thing, but when my 2009 A1181 and my 2007 A1226 do a cold boot, CPU usage always skyrockets to 120-150%+ for a good 5-10 minutes, thanks to various background apps that -- I think -- are Apple's security check processes for malware. It's a super pain in the ass. I don't ever remember Mavericks, Yosemite, or Mojave ever doing that.

But is your Mac missin' dependence? 😀
Well sometimes my MacBook running Linux complains about missin' dependencies...

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Any idea on what these might be? Just curious.
No idea.

There are five things I do know, but I'm not in the loop as to what the bosses will do.

1. The company uses a local Apple retailer (The Orchard) for repairs and some purchases.

2. Mac Minis were/are routinely sourced by two people in the company, one now deceased (COVID) and the other who manages our India group.

3. I've met the person who is functioning as the 'IT' department. He's a contractor.

4. One of the partners of the business takes care of certain IT stuff.

5. The email mentioned 'our IT company'. Presumably, that's the guy in #3, but IDK.

I do not believe we will be receiving the latest and the greatest. I expect we will be getting the last or close to the last Intel models sourced from third parties (and not Apple directly). So, I'm expecting something like a 2018 or 2019 model.

Reactions: Amethyst1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Some day (not soon), my work pile of circuit boards and electrical wiring may rise to a height sufficient enough that it might actually be considered a 'computer'.

But not today, and certainly it can never be considered by anyone to be an actual 'Macintosh'.

Pay no attention to the Apple logo on the back of the lid! It lies!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
No sign of the new machines yet?
Nope. But they are coming. Everyone is waiting for this.

I think a previous post was before my annual review. They mentioned that the new Macs will come with 32GB ram and a 500GB SSD. Both those things are double what the current computer has.

Apparently, they are doing some sort of setup where the laptops check in to a central 'shared' computer in order to use apps. They are trying to minimize what's actually going to be installed on each laptop.

Unlike my previous job, the uncertainty of it all is about 'when' and not 'if'. Prepress is particularly eager to get theirs.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Everyone was informed via email last night that Adobe apps were being installed on the new computers. We were supposed to indicate whether we used three specific apps daily or otherwise.

I have to assume that means the new Macs have actually been purchased and have arrived at the office…

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
As of today, new Macs have been released to employees. We have until Friday morning (7/14/2023) to pick them up. Management has instructed us to keep the old Macs for a while just in case there are problems/issues/missing apps, etc.

Our Filemaker database is being switched Friday afternoon which will basically kill the ability to use the old Mac for our task list - which is why I only have until Friday morning to pick it up.

I'll report back on what I've got when I get it home. :D

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So, looks like we have a 2023 model MBP, A2338. I believe that's a 15" with the M2 chip.Ventura OS, 500GB SSD, 24GB ram. Will be setting stuff up this weekend. But fortunately I can connect to Filemaker with it, which means the VPN is working.

Work gave me an adapter but I know I'll need others. Looks like I have a reason to be in the main Mac forum now.

2023-07-14 12.38.05.jpg

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I think now after eight months and this morning's little rebellion I can honestly say that for my own personal use I will never be purchasing a Mac from the years 2013 or newer.

This morning, for no reason at all, Photoshop 2023 decided it was just going to ignore keyboard commands. You punch a number key on the keypad to get a transparency level. Photoshop ignores it. A restart does not help.

So frustrated I just start banging keys and bam, it comes back. I'm not using PS 2024 because of other problems already! I don't need this with 2023.

Combine with problems using AFP/SMB and Ventura/Sonoma's handling of VPNs, the frequency of the Mac just deciding that it's going to forget settings for any given app and I have no desire to ever personally own one of these pieces of junk.

Reactions: B S Magnet

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
This is totally crazy. Leaving aside the fact that I've had and used many post 2013 Macs and had pretty close to zero problems with any of them, even the butterflies in my whichever-year MBP, if you were a worker in the company where I was managing or supporting IT, I'd be ashamed that I wasn't solving your problems.

From what I read previously in this thread, your IT is outsourced, and you're describing a quality of support that isn't exactly untypical when the 'consultant' doesn't have their own skin in the game, but it is inexcusable. And 'one of the partners' who does IT... yeah, that is not a great recipe for success either.

To have quirky issues with two entirely different Macs would lead me to think the problem here is a woeful quality of support.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
This is totally crazy. Leaving aside the fact that I've had and used many post 2013 Macs and had pretty close to zero problems with any of them, even the butterflies in my whichever-year MBP, if you were a worker in the company where I was managing or supporting IT, I'd be ashamed that I wasn't solving your problems.

From what I read previously in this thread, your IT is outsourced, and you're describing a quality of support that isn't exactly untypical when the 'consultant' doesn't have their own skin in the game, but it is inexcusable. And 'one of the partners' who does IT... yeah, that is not a great recipe for success either.

To have quirky issues with two entirely different Macs would lead me to think the problem here is a woeful quality of support.
I actually have the email of the IT guy that our business uses. Because the majority of my career has been a single man operation within a larger (but still small) organization I've had to solve many of my own IT issues over the years. The last job used just local IT shops in the area. I won't detail all my frustrations with some of those here.

It is apparent to me in this job however, that I have at least the same or more practical knowledge as the IT person who was hired for support - if not their training. I've supported my own Windows PC servers for godssake.

Basically, if this isn't happening to the actual IT person (i.e., he can't replicate it) then it seems I am SOL. I had VPN issues and he hit the wall of solving that problem once he realized I'd already done everything he was going to tell me to do/try.

Settings not sticking? Not happening to me. Maybe try a system update.

With the whole VPN thing I learned, it's just better to try and solve my own issues. I'll get farther and I won't have to stop working and create another fiasco with him having me tear things apart.

At some point the VPN started popping up the login box. Now, that password and username is saved in Keychain. The Mac already has the credentials. But the system wants to pop up the login box regardless. Just started happening out of the blue. No reason for it.

One of the reps I work with, that started happening to him too, so I explained how to get his password out of Keychain. But mention this to the IT guy and because it's not anything happening to him it is apparently not any issue that needs to be solved for us!

Personally, I think he's mainly a PC guy, although he supports Mac. And most IT guys, if they don't have an answer, the problem just isn't happening (because they'd have to admit they didn't have an answer).

I got spoiled in my first job because it was a large organization (Gannett) that had it's own inhouse IT department. They were a call or message away or a door down from my location. And they fixed things.

I have neither the time nor inclination after hours to work on any of these problems here.

Last edited:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I actually have the email of the IT guy that our business uses. Because the majority of my career has been a single man operation within a larger (but still small) organization I've had to solve many of my own IT issues over the years. The last job used just local IT shops in the area. I won't detail all my frustrations with some of those here.

It is apparent to me in this job however, that I have at least the same or more practical knowledge as the IT person who was hired for support - if not their training. I've supported my own Windows PC servers for godssake.

Basically, if this isn't happening to the actual IT person (i.e., he can't replicate it) then it seems I am SOL. I had VPN issues and he hit the wall of solving that problem once he realized I'd already done everything he was going to tell me to do/try.

Settings not sticking? Not happening to me. Maybe try a system update.

With the whole VPN thing I learned, it's just better to try and solve my own issues. I'll get farther and I won't have to stop working and create another fiasco with him having me tear things apart.

At some point the VPN started popping up the login box. Now, that password and username is saved in Keychain. The Mac already has the credentials. But the system wants to pop up the login box regardless. Just started happening out of the blue. No reason for it.

One of the reps I work with, that started happening to him too, so I explained how to get his password out of Keychain. But mention this to the IT guy and because it's not anything happening to him it is apparently not any issue that needs to be solved for us!

Personally, I think he's mainly a PC guy, although he supports Mac. And most IT guys, if they don't have an answer, the problem just isn't happening (because they'd have to admit they didn't have an answer).
As an IT manager of many years, the story you tell here is all too familiar, particularly where support is outsourced rather than in house. Even when an IT support person is actually knowledgable and capable of helping with obscure problems, there's often the additional difficulty that they have so many other tasks that things slip through the cracks - and the only question is exactly how big the cracks are for stuff to slip through.

I retired from my role last year, and since then, my former colleagues rely entirely on a contractor who rarely responds, and one of the partners who always considered himself highly IT literate, but really wasn't, and is too busy with his actual job anyway. The quality of support they get is significantly worse than it was before I retired, and it isn't because I was so good, but that I was there and answerable directly to the managing partner.

They complain now that their IT support is slow and poor, so they are having to outsource more and more of their actual workloads to defray the consequences. There's the additional problem that outsourced contractors also tend to deliberately under-solve problems because doing so facilitates return job tickets, thus greater profits.

All of which means that I can't help with the problem, but I understand it, and I really sympathize. I'd say the same to you as I did to my former colleagues complaining about no longer getting the help they needed, and that is to make yourself the squeaky wheel you manager(s) can't ignore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.