Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thommo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
G'day

I've just started using the Noise app on my Apple Watch Series 8. Having come from the Series 3, this is my first time using it.

Not sure if this is an issue, but the app will monitor noise for a few seconds after launching, then the screen will dim and noise monitoring will stop. I have the display set to always on.

I thought the app would continue to monitor noise as long as it's open - is this actually the case?

Appreciate any input.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
If you activate it in the Watch App on iPhone it‘ll monitor it permanently in the background even if the app is closed.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Use a complication. I don't have always on, so I don't know if it will dim after a while, but when I have it in a complication, it turns on and shows the noise level every time I lift my wrist to look at the watch.

thommo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
If you activate it in the Watch App on iPhone it‘ll monitor it permanently in the background even if the app is closed.

Good to know, thanks. I was really wanting to actively monitor noise using the app in certain situations.

Use a complication. I don't have always on, so I don't know if it will dim after a while, but when I have it in a complication, it turns on and shows the noise level every time I lift my wrist to look at the watch.

I have it added, thanks. I just want to be able to open the app and check noise levels as long as it remains open.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Use a complication.

Don't use a complication since the occasions I use it are relative rare. I just run the App. Just attended a Joshjua Bell symphony concert and started the app to monitor sound levels. App usually activated when I raised my wrist. Ranged from 35-~85 (not quite 90 peak).

thommo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Don't use a complication since the occasions I use it are relative rare. I just run the App. Just attended a Joshjua Bell symphony concert and started the app to monitor sound levels. App usually activated when I raised my wrist. Ranged from 35-~85 (not quite 90 peak).

That's exactly how I plan to use it. Can you advise if the app still shows readings after screen dims? Mine shows --dB after screen dims.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
My Ultra also goes grey and shows —db after the screen dims.

Though I do know the watches monitor constantly in the background as I’m a rock club DJ on the side and sometimes it’ll trigger while I’m working, with a notification telling me things are too loud

thommo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
My Ultra also goes grey and shows —db after the screen dims.

Though I do know the watches monitor constantly in the background as I’m a rock club DJ on the side and sometimes it’ll trigger while I’m working, with a notification telling me things are too loud

Thanks for the reply. I guess this is normal behaviour then, so thankfully won't need to seek a replacement.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Thanks for the reply. I guess this is normal behaviour then, so thankfully won't need to seek a replacement.
It would seem so.

The Health app on your iPhone will show the noise levels picked up by your watch though, if you’re interested in looking at the data later.

IMG_1899.png

On the summary screen, scroll down and tap ‘show all highlights’, followed by ‘environmental sound levels’.
As you can see, this is an hourly graph from whilst at work yesterday afternoon.

thommo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
It would seem so.

The Health app on your iPhone will show the noise levels picked up by your watch though, if you’re interested in looking at the data later.

View attachment 2197650

On the summary screen, scroll down and tap ‘show all highlights’, followed by ‘environmental sound levels’.
As you can see, this is an hourly graph from whilst at work yesterday afternoon.

That's good to know! Thank you.

Reactions: Thoradin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.