Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Whats the case with noise cancellation in airplanes? Which AirPods should i choose for this use?

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
AirPods Pro and Max are the only 2 with active noise cancellation.

I have flown countless times with the AirPods Pro and AirPods Pro 2, and while they aren’t as good as a high end pair of over the ear headphones, the convenience of the tiny case is a worthy trade off to me. The battery doesn’t m last for a long flight, but in that case I don’t mind giving my ears a little break to let them charge every few hours.

Reactions: zoran

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Can you post links of such high end over the ear headphones?

These are sites I would trust that both present a pretty solid roundup of the best NC options with considerations like comfort, OS integration, and battery life.

dante_mr

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2023
Given the two options with ANC, I'd say go for the AirPods Pro. It's the latest to be updated with the new chip, whereas the Max still has the H1. Plus it's infinitely more portable.

The AirPods Max has great audio quality but not enough to justify the price tag, the older H1 chip, and the hassle of carrying it around. It doesn't fold so there's no easy way to travel with it. So you're either wearing it around your neck or putting it in a case that will take up precious volume in your bag.

But if you really want over the ear headphones, then maybe wait a little while longer. It's been 2 years since we got the AirPods Max and it's bizarre for the top of the line AirPods not to get the new H2 chip. So I have a feeling it's coming soon.

pgolik

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
I was pleasantly surprised by how good the ANC on APP2 was on my recent flights. When it comes to eliminating engine drone they are more than good enough for me. Where the best ANC over ears (like Sony WH-1000MX5) surpass them is with higher frequencies, like voices. But for the engines (both jet and turboprop) the little APP2s worked great.

Reactions: AfricanTech

AfricanTech

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
I was pleasantly surprised by how good the ANC on APP2 was on my recent flights. When it comes to eliminating engine drone they are more than good enough for me. Where the best ANC over ears (like Sony WH-1000MX5) surpass them is with higher frequencies, like voices. But for the engines (both jet and turboprop) the little APP2s worked great.

I can second this.

I used to use Sony MX3's but now use APP2's exclusively and they're very effective (and are a lot easier to manage in a tight space).

Fortunately the vast majority of my flying is in the 2 hour range so I don't have any issues with battery life.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I use Sony XMs (mine are 3, current gen is 5) which are much better than the Airpods Pro and Beats Fit Pro headphones that I also own, for this particular purpose. The latter are fine for a train ride, but on the plane the Sonys are over-ear, which means they stay put and maintain perfect seal for example if I'm eating, and they also have fantastic battery life.

BTW I also had a pair of Bose 35 and they were similarly good as the Sonys.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Likewise, I’ve flown a fair bit this year and they really help cut down on ambient noise, making for a more relaxing flight.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Whats the case with noise cancellation in airplanes? Which AirPods should i choose for this use?
As others have said, over the ear headphones will give a stronger noise cancellation but the AirPods Pro 2 still do an excellent job as well. I find, when traveling that I appreciate the compact nature of the AirPods Pro. Something bulky like over the ear phones tend to get in the way and be to much trouble. I’d be fine with them at home but not while carrying luggage and moving from place to place while traveling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.