Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
i really like the airpods but might return them because they lack any noise isolation or any ability to add noise isolation by adding something like comply tips. On the subway I have to crank them to full volume and still struggle to hear clearly.

Hate to say it because the tech is so cool, but I think I even prefer a 20$ wired pair that lets you use comply tips or similar.

Any advice for noise isolation on these?

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Look around for some EarPod tips and accessories... they should all be compatible with Airpods too since it's the same shape. I haven't looked around for this but there's bound to be something.

Reactions: nutmac and skimcpip

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
as of now, nothing great for isolation. EarSkinz and other earpod accessories will not let the headphones sit in the charging case. I find them to be good enough on the subway in Manhattan at around 80% volume but that the bass is generally lost given that there is no seal. Definitely optimized for quiet surroundings.

The Powerbeats3 might be more up your alley for isolation if you need something now; the BeatsX will likely also do the trick, while the Solo3 is pretty good (but again not truly designed for noise isolation, and not as comfortable for me).

Reactions: skimcpip

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks all. I saw some positive reviews about EarSkinz but the pods won't fit in their case with them on, as Nikhil72 mentions. Maybe worth a shot anyway.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
If you're okay with using them on an on needed basis, they take a few seconds to pop on. Good for longer commutes, I imagine.

Reactions: skimcpip
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.