Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jabbeworck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
I recently bought a Macbook Pro 13 "with TouchBar and when connecting my audio interface with my guitar (gibson explorer and loar) (focusrite 2i2) I have noises in GarageBand and Logic Pro X. When I disconnect the Macbook Pro from the power and use only the battery noises decrease a lot (although there is still very little noise).
I am from Palma de Mallorca, Spain.

wbrad01

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2017
I recently bought a Macbook Pro 13 "with TouchBar and when connecting my audio interface with my guitar (gibson explorer and loar) (focusrite 2i2) I have noises in GarageBand and Logic Pro X. When I disconnect the Macbook Pro from the power and use only the battery noises decrease a lot (although there is still very little noise).

What type of noise are you getting? Distortion, cracks, pops, static or hum?

Do you have a way to measure voltage level, could be power fluctuation maybe? Also, do you have a mic or other instrument you could plug in and test with to rule out a problem with the guitar pickups picking something up?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Do it come with an additional power cable for the power adapter with a ground? If so, try it with that.

If this is a dumb question sorry. I have never seen a EU Macbook power adapter.

Last edited:

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
try it in a different location. Take the MBP and everything gp into a different room, garage, etc.

Sometimes guitar pickups can pick up noises and other weird things when placed near certain appliances, electrical outlets.

Reactions: ixxx69

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Not grounded? Common problem with a 2-pronged wall connector.

Here in the USA electronic devices are sometimes plagued by a "60 cycle hum".
I realize you don't use 60hz in Europe, it's 50hz, right? Could it be "50 cycle hum"?

Could some of the noise be coming from the electronics in the guitars?

Jabbeworck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Guys, i have been looking for a solution but i couldn't find it. I think the problem is something in relation with my guitar pickups (gibson explorer with humbuckers from a les paul standard and a loar with p90 from the house). I gonna try a different guitar and i will you know. Many thanks for all your answers.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Guys, i have been looking for a solution but i couldn't find it. I think the problem is something in relation with my guitar pickups (gibson explorer with humbuckers from a les paul standard and a loar with p90 from the house). I gonna try a different guitar and i will you know. Many thanks for all your answers.

Not surprising. If I'm sitting in front of my setup with an electric there's noise that is relative to its position.

Reactions: ixxx69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.