Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verstaerker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
since January I have a MacPro 2019 with the following config:
12 core
64 GB RAM
2 TB SSD
Single VegaII

in contrast to the numerous YouTube videos where there is raving about how quiet the MacPro is, I have to say that I perceive it quite loud. Definitely louder than my old MacMini setup with eGPU-Pro.
If I'd put it on the desk, as it's often seen, I would be annoyed.
It is of course a good thing that, unlike the MacMini setup, it does not get louder even under the highest loads.
How do you feel the noise-level?
How fast do the fans of your MP turn at idle?
For me all fans are at about 500 rpm - only Fan2 is always around 600 rpm (+/- 10).

Parzival

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
It is definitely noticeable.
Regarding the YouTube videos about how quiet the MP is, I also saw those and it helped steer my purchase towards the MP.
Unless I (and many other people on this forum) all have defective units, this machine is not as quiet as "advertised."

For me, the most irksome (in hindsight) YouTube review of the MP has been the one by Jonathan Morrison, where he holds up a microphone right next to the Mac Pro and it seems totally silent. This is impossible. I have multiple mics in my studio, some of them great, some of them not so great, but all easily capable of recording the noise the MP makes, even from way further away.
So JM doesn't seem to realise what "silent" acually means in a studio setting, and I suspect thats the case for many Youtubers who are raving about how silent this system is.

Last edited:
Reactions: verstaerker

verstaerker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Okay good to know. I was really doubting myself or if I have a defective unit.

With an iPhone mic it's hard to capture the sound of the Mac Pro but with every more studio-grade mic it's easy to capture.

Do you have maybe a chance to check your fan-rpm values?
I use TG-pro for that.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
You guys are in the minority. Mine is super quiet and for most people it is as well.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
that doesn't make it better .. but thanks for the interesting thread

actually it does make it better. That it’s an anomaly is good. Hopefully it also gives you an argument to Apple to fix the noise in yours and provides hope for a better outcome.

hoping you guys can get yours to be quieter and that Apple helps you. It seems the blower is the culprit for some people suffering the noise. wishing you guys good luck

Last edited:

verstaerker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
actually it does make it better. That it’s an anomaly is good. Hopefully it also gives you an argument to Apple to fix the noise in yours and provides hope for a better outcome.

hoping you guys can get yours to be quieter and that Apple helps you. It seems the blower is the culprit for some people suffering the noise. wishing you guys good luck
well good point! thanks!

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Just how young are those of you who can hear the MP7,1 ? And do you hear a high pitched noise ?

Serious: young people can hear much higher pitched sound than older people.

verstaerker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Just how young are those of you who can hear the MP7,1 ? And do you hear a high pitched noise ?

Serious: young people can hear much higher pitched sound than older people.

no it’s more a low rumble from a big fan...

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
since January I have a MacPro 2019 with the following config:
12 core
64 GB RAM
2 TB SSD
Single VegaII

in contrast to the numerous YouTube videos where there is raving about how quiet the MacPro is, I have to say that I perceive it quite loud. Definitely louder than my old MacMini setup with eGPU-Pro.
If I'd put it on the desk, as it's often seen, I would be annoyed.
It is of course a good thing that, unlike the MacMini setup, it does not get louder even under the highest loads.
How do you feel the noise-level?
How fast do the fans of your MP turn at idle?
For me all fans are at about 500 rpm - only Fan2 is always around 600 rpm (+/- 10).
My MP7,1 (Running on Catalina 10.15.4 Build 19E224g)
16-core
384GB RAM
1TB SSD
Afterburner
J2i cage with 8TB + 16TB HDD (resting at idle)
Sonnet/Samsung x16 PCIe card with 4x 970 EVO Plus blades (resting)
Single Vega II

With my MP7,1 idle...
Fan 2 at 421 RPM, and other 3 fans at zero RPM
With just one Safari web page displaying
Using iPhone against the front of the case the dB is at 39.9.
Using iPhone against the rear of the case the dB is at 41.2.

With MP7,1 with all 4 fans running at max RPM of 2180
Using iPhone against the front of the case the dB is at 67.3.
Using iPhone against the rear of the case the dB is at 86.3.

IMO, my MP7,1 is very very quiet unless I purposely run the fans at max RPMs.

See attachments....

Attachments

• With only Fan 2 running at 481 RPM at front of case.PNG
    With only Fan 2 running at 481 RPM at front of case.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 167
  • With only Fan 2 running at 481 RPM at rear of case.PNG
    With only Fan 2 running at 481 RPM at rear of case.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
  • Fans at max, and at front of case.PNG
    Fans at max, and at front of case.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
  • Fans at max, and at rear of case.PNG
    Fans at max, and at rear of case.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
  • With Fan 2 only running.png
    With Fan 2 only running.png
    607.1 KB · Views: 144
  • All 4 fans running at max RPM.png
    All 4 fans running at max RPM.png
    615.2 KB · Views: 228

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
My 16-core/580 has been very quiet. I opted to customize the fan settings using TGPro to keep the temps lower when cranking, but I still barely hear it when it is cranking (fans usually @ 20%, around 700-800rpm)

Normal usage, fans all stay around the 500RPM range.

Reactions: verstaerker

verstaerker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
My MP7,1 (Running on Catalina 10.15.4 Build 19E224g)
16-core
384GB RAM
1TB SSD
Afterburner
J2i cage with 8TB + 16TB HDD (resting at idle)
Sonnet/Samsung x16 PCIe card with 4x 970 EVO Plus blades (resting)
Single Vega II

With my MP7,1 idle...
Fan 2 at 421 RPM, and other 3 fans at zero RPM
Using iPhone against the front of the case the dB is at 39.9.
Using iPhone against the rear of the case the dB is at 41.2.

With MP7,1 with all 4 fans running at max RPM of 2180
Using iPhone against the front of the case the dB is at 67.3.
Using iPhone against the rear of the case the dB is at 86.3.

IMO, my MP7,1 is very very quiet unless I purposely run the fans at max RPMs.

See attachments....

Thanks for your efforts and sharing the results!
can you measure your room please? Because 39db seems quite high and if you would name 39db as very quiet we have different sense of quietness.
Also putting the iPhone directly against the case is not good. I think 1m would be a good distance.
Something with your fan speeds seems wrong as I don’t think than all fans except fan2 are off.
Can you check with TG Pros Main Window please, there it shows the actual fan rpm.
[automerge]1582068645[/automerge]
My 16-core/580 has been very quiet. I opted to customize the fan settings using TGPro to keep the temps lower when cranking, but I still barely hear it when it is cranking (fans usually @ 20%, around 700-800rpm)

Normal usage, fans all stay around the 500RPM range.

very
interesting and the first one who clearly answers me that something is odd my my Mac Pro.
My Fan 2 Runs at 600 rpm at idle and I believe that’s what I’m hearing

Last edited:

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Thanks for your efforts and sharing the results!
can you measure your room please? Because 39db seems quite high and if you would name 39db as very quiet we have different sense of quietness.
Also putting the iPhone directly against the case is not good. I think 1m would be a good distance.
Something with your fan speeds seems wrong as I don’t think than all fans except fan2 are off.
Can you check with TG Pro please?
I use TG Pro and it display only Fan 2 was running at 481 RPM. I believe the fans are independent and can run at different RPM depending on what the system decides. I just checked this and see that Fan 2 and Fan 4 are running. Fan 1 and 3 aren't running..... well according to the green bars in the TG Pro fan display. See attachment.

I did place the iPhone at various distances and the dB level really did not change in any significant way.

My room dB level averages around 45.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 3.34.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 3.34.57 PM.png
    31 KB · Views: 174

verstaerker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I will make some good measurements this weekends and will contact Apple
[automerge]1582069139[/automerge]
I use TG Pro and it display only Fan 2 was running at 481 RPM. I believe the fans are independent and can run at different RPM depending on what the system decides. I just checked this and see that Fan 2 and Fan 4 are running. Fan 1 and 3 aren't running..... well according to the free bars in the TG Pro fan display. See attachment.

I did place the iPhone at various distances and the dB level really did not change in any significant way.

your Screenshot shows that Fan 2 Runs at 597 rpm and your room is really noisy with 45 dB. Mine is at around 25.

Reactions: bxs

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I use TG Pro and it display only Fan 2 was running at 481 RPM. I believe the fans are independent and can run at different RPM depending on what the system decides. I just checked this and see that Fan 2 and Fan 4 are running. Fan 1 and 3 aren't running..... well according to the green bars in the TG Pro fan display. See attachment.

That is incorrect. Fans 1 & 3 are just running below the 500RPM range, which is where TGPro starts to graph their speed. The fans are independent.

Reactions: bxs

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
I will make some good measurements this weekends and will contact Apple
[automerge]1582069139[/automerge]

your Screenshot shows that Fan 2 Runs at 597 rpm and your room is really noisy with 45 dB. Mine is at around 25.
Yes, I have a large freezer in the corner of my man cave. I turned it off and measured the room's dB and it register at 36 dB. Not as good as your 25 dB but good enough for me. :)

verstaerker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Yes, I have a large freezer in the corner of my man cave. I turned it off and measured the room's dB and it register at 36 dB. Not as good as your 25 dB but good enough for me. :)

Thanks - that’s important to put your measurements in relation.
[automerge]1582095163[/automerge]
what i notice here is that one MP runs fan 2 at 500 rpm with a 580 gpu

my and bxs MP have VegaII, maybe that’s causing fan 2 at 600rpm?

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.