Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needmacpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Hello all,

I recently got my new Mac Pro and the lower front fan is a bit noisy. It sounds like it’s a bit unbalanced and has a very light rhythmic thudding. It’s not that terrible but I can definitely hear it early in the morning and late at night when the rest of the room is very quiet.

What’s the best way to get this fixed? I don’t really want to take the whole computer in for just a quick fan swap. Has anyone had experience with Apple with something like this? Will they just send me a part to swap? My goal is to fix it without being out of a machine for too long.

Thanks everyone!

bigus7674

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2005
RE: noisy fan...

I know it seems elementary, but have you tried taking the fan out and then putting it back...making sure that it is snug and properly seated? It is possible that during transit to the store, or yourself, that it just got shifted in the slot. I used to work for an authorized reseller and we had that happen to one of our demo units.

If that doesn't work, then I believe the fan could be seen as a DIY (Do It Yourself) replacement part from Apple and you may be able to have them send you a replacement and you just pack up the defective one and send it back to them in the same packaging (here's the link for MacPro computers; it actually looks like you will have to take it somewhere and have them order the part for you: http://www.apple.com/support/macpro/diy/order.html)

needmacpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
I know it seems elementary, but have you tried taking the fan out and then putting it back...making sure that it is snug and properly seated? It is possible that during transit to the store, or yourself, that it just got shifted in the slot. I used to work for an authorized reseller and we had that happen to one of our demo units.

If that doesn't work, then I believe the fan could be seen as a DIY (Do It Yourself) replacement part from Apple and you may be able to have them send you a replacement and you just pack up the defective one and send it back to them in the same packaging (here's the link for MacPro computers; it actually looks like you will have to take it somewhere and have them order the part for you: http://www.apple.com/support/macpro/diy/order.html)

Actually, no I haven't tried that but it makes a lot of sense. I have another gig of memory arriving today so I'll try to reseat the fan while I've got it open. Thanks for the suggestion.

Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.