Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
So no flagship announced at their MWC conference today. Only the 6,5,3 & the new 3310. A little disappointing I have to say. Would have been fun to see what they could do.

Reactions: Sam_S and Tsepz

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
They should have at least went with a sd625, I would take my Blade V8 Pro or Moto Z Play over this.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is the Nokia 8

The Nokia 8 is a slightly larger phone that stylistically fits in the same family as the 3, 5, and 6 but has top-end specs to compete with other leading flagships. It's expected to have a 5.3-inch QHD display, Snapdragon 835, at least 4GB of RAM, and of course a dual camera with Carl Zeiss optics in front of 13MP sensors. It's all expected to run Android 7.1.1, and its current set of phones have shown HMD isn't interested in messing with the software much.

Up to this point the refreshed release of Nokia-branded phones has been in the budget segment and almost entirely leveraging the recognition of the Nokia name. It will be interesting to see how a phone that is likely to sell for $600 or more can differentiate itself in its actual components or experience, as the Nokia name alone isn't going to be enough to take down the fantastic set of flagships in 2017.

Rumors point to a proper announcement of the Nokia 8 on July 31.

nokia-8-leak.jpg

https://www.androidcentral.com/nokia-8?utm_medium=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=ac

Reactions: rreddy

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am so looking forward to this phone! Pure stock Android...Interested to see what comes of the partnership with Zeis and the camera

Nokia 8 software
  • Pure Android Nougat
  • Camera improvements
One of the underlying themes of the new Nokia phones is that they all run pure Android Nougat, with Google Assistant. Nokia was keen to point this out and Google was keen to say how happy the were that Nokia was doing this.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/137751-nokia-8-release-date-rumours-and-specs-for-nokia-s-flagship

Reactions: co.ag.2005

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
They should have at least went with a sd625, I would take my Blade V8 Pro or Moto Z Play over this.

The Blade probably will never get Nougat.

My friend gave the Nokia 6 a go. It outlasted the Moto G5 Plus as far as memory management and not refreshing apps. Many are quite sold on the Moto as being one of the best bang for buck smartphones. I hear the Moto Z2 play is pretty good but not quite the bang for buck at this stage.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
It's official then!

That colour. Delicious.

Very very very intrigued with this one. Stock Android, nice design and potentially great cameras.

Like that they've added something new with their 'bothie' camera. A camera set up that takes 2 photos front and back on the same screen. Hardly groundbreaking, but a nice advertising slant.

Looking at this one with interest.

Attachments

• IMG_20170816_213913.jpg
    IMG_20170816_213913.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: jamezr and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's official then!

That colour. Delicious.

Very very very intrigued with this one. Stock Android, nice design and potentially great cameras.

Like that they've added something new with their 'bothie' camera. A camera set up that takes 2 photos front and back on the same screen. Hardly groundbreaking, but a nice advertising slant.

Looking at this one with interest.

€599 is a good price but could do with being cheaper €499-549 to match the one plus 5.

I do like that colour. Seems copper / bronze red is THE new colour for 2017/2018

I see from video previews it's running 7.1.1 and on the August security update. I wonder how committed they are to updates.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Looks like a 2016 budget phone, a year late to release. And that tiny battery, useless.

This phone might bomb worse than the Essential

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
The design continues to be incredibly bland and conservative, I guess there are those who like it that way.

Could this possibly be the most compact Snapdragon 835 device around for those who don't want a +5.5inch "phablet"?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Genuinely thought I'd be interested in this, having stayed with Nokia through even the Microsoft years, and only switching to iPhone in the last couple of years... but to be honest I'm no fan of android (even stock) and that's proving to be a bigger hindrance than I'd thought it would be. Hardware seems more generic than I'm used to from Nokia too, design could be from any number of faceless manufacturers - Nokia created some of the most beautiful designs ever (for their time) particularly of ones I owned were the 6230, n80, n95, lumia 925 (still argue that's possibly the best looking phone to date, other than possibly the nanometre-precise iPhone 5s (which I never owned)) all of them really stood out in a crowd to me, these new designs just don't. Maybe that's what they want though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.