Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Hi

Just got a new Nokia N80, and am trying (with varying degrees of success) to integrate it into my Apple world.

Odd problem with the bluetooth. When I transfer a file from the N80 to my iBook using "Send via Bluetooth", the iBook accepts the file, but transfer stalls at exactly 263.9kb every time. Once 263.9kb is reached, the progress bar just stays motionless, and I have to cancel the transfer manually.

This is weird, because every other possible combination of bluetooth file transfer works OK. I can send files (any size) from iBook to N80 without problem. I can send files (any size) from other devices (including my old Nokia 7610) to my iBook, and I can send files (any size) from my N80 to other devices. I can even browse the contents of my N80 from my iBook using the Bluetooth "Browse Device" feature, and transfer any size file that way.

So, this only happens when I send files greater than 263.9kb from my N80 to my iBook.

What is going on? Any ideas?

Cheers
SL

PS: Running OS X.4.6

ulpito

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2006
Same problem here. I'll try later on a windows machine to check whether it's a Mac-only compatibility issue. I've tried on an iMac and an iBook both running 10.4.6. The N80s firmware version is 3.0614.0.3.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
cburgdorfer said:
Has anyone of you managed to send sms via the address book via the N80? (bluetooth)

No. AFAIK, this doesn't work on the N80, but I am not sure why.

Also, if this thread is to be belived, then the file size limit could be fixed by a firmware upgrade to the N80. Can anyone with firmware 3.0617.0.6 or higher confirm that this solves the problem?

Finally, I also noticed that if I disconnect the mouse and keyboard from the iBook when bluetoothing between the iBook and N80, then it speeds things up a lot (I suppose this is hardly surprising). Also, however, if I don't disconnect the mouse when bluetoothing between the iBook and N80, the mouse gets slow an unresponsive, and doesn't return to normal until I've switched the mouse off and on again.

Regds
SL

jlp

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2006
Have spoken to Nokia. They say, unsurprisingly, 'ain't nothing to do with us'.
I've paired my n80 and G5 and have been able to transfer files larger than 263.9kb. Takes time but better than nothing.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
I am thinking of getting a Nokia N80 in a few months but this is a real turn off. Can you text people when you have paired your phone using Address Book? Can you sync using bluetooth with your address book and iCal using iSync?

Interested to know and hope someone sorts this problem as soon as possible

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
eddx said:
I am thinking of getting a Nokia N80 in a few months but this is a real turn off.
It's a bit annoying, but I wouldn't go as far to describe the file transfer size limit bug as a real turn-off. After all, you can use the "Browse Device" feature to send files to and from your N80 without any issues. Also it the problem is rumored to be fixed by a firmware update anyway.
eddx said:
Can you text people when you have paired your phone using Address Book?
No.
eddx said:
Can you sync using bluetooth with your address book and iCal using iSync?
iSync does not natively support the N80. I presume Apple are working on this, but your guess is as good as mine as to when they sort it. However, it is possible to hack iSync to support the N80 (seach for N80 on the Apple.com iSync discussion forums), or there is a 3rd party hack you can buy from Novamedia. Both solutions work OK, but will introduce some quirks you will need to learn to live with:
  • Address Book: Custom field names are reset to defaults.
  • iCal: All day events in iCal are synchronised to the N80 as midnight-midnight appointments instead of Nokia's "Day Notes". This looks messy but I suspect it is done to preserve alerts. (And it works fine in the other direction).
  • All (although I cannot confirm this personally): Updates to the N80 are made as "delete-writes" instead of "proper updates". This can cause things like voicetags and speeddials to go missing.
Shame, because my previous phone (Nokia 7610) didn't have any of these problems.

I am not sure if these quirks are the fault of Nokia or the hacked iSync, so if/when Apple do get round to formally supporting the N80, I don't know whether the quirks will ever be fixed.

This p***ed me off at first but I am used to it now. Despite the bugs I do like my N80.

HTH
SL

zorga

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2006
I found a workaround

In MacOS X, go to the Bluetooth icon, select "Browse Devide..."

Select your N80 and you will have access to the C: (handset) and E: (memcard) memories.

You can get, send, delete any file that way.

Hope Apple will solve the problems soon though..

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
You can hack it yourself by editing the metaclasses N70 p.list file. I edited the N90 and overwrote the N91 info on it and it works perfectly on my N91. It didn't cost me a penny to do this either.

<key>com.nokia.N80</key>
<dict>
<key>Identification</key>
<dict>
<key>com.apple.cgmi+cgmm</key>
<array>
<string>Nokia+Nokia N80-1</string>
<string>Nokia+Nokia N80</string>
</array>
<key>com.apple.gmi+gmm</key>
<array>
<string>Nokia+Nokia N80-1</string>
<string>Nokia+Nokia N80</string>
</array>
</dict>
<key>InheritsFrom</key>
<array>
<string>family.com.nokia.serie60v2.3</string>
</array>
<key>Services</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>ServiceName</key>
<string>com.apple.model</string>
<key>ServiceProperties</key>
<dict>
<key>ModelIcon</key>
<string>NOKN80.tiff</string>
<key>ModelName</key>
<string>N80</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
This link will show you what files will need to be hacked will be located.
http://n91php.blogspot.com/

zorga

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2006
that is just for use with iSync, and yes, it works.

This thread is about the bug by Apple or Nokia that if you try and send a file via bluetooth from the N80 to your Mac, it stops at 263.xx KB..

I just showed a way around that..

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
I was responding to post 9 in this thread.
zorga said:
that is just for use with iSync, and yes, it works.

This thread is about the bug by Apple or Nokia that if you try and send a file via bluetooth from the N80 to your Mac, it stops at 263.xx KB..

I just showed a way around that..

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
cheekyspanky said:
No problem here with the file transfers - everything seems to work perfectly. What network are you guys on - do you all have the same firmware build?
I'm on Vodafone UK, and I do not have the latest firmware. My firmware details are as follows:

V 3.0614.0.3
11-04-2006
RM-92
Nokia N80 (42.02)

I have heard that upgrading the firmware might solve the problem. What firmware are you on, cheekyspanky? You can find out by dialling *#0000#.

zorga said:
I found a workaround. In MacOS X, go to the Bluetooth icon, select "Browse Devide..."
Yes, this works great (as mentioned as in my OP). But because I'm a Mac user I expect everything to work perfectly and I loose sleep when things aren't right. :) :D

Roba said:
You can hack it yourself by editing the metaclasses N70 p.list file. I edited the N90 and overwrote the N91 info on it and it works perfectly on my N91. It didn't cost me a penny to do this either.
Yes, I did this too, and it does work. The Sync behaviour isn't ideal (see earlier post), but the Novomedia.de plugin isn't any better.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
superleccy said:
I'm on Vodafone UK, and I do not have the latest firmware. My firmware details are as follows:

V 3.0614.0.3
11-04-2006
RM-92
Nokia N80 (42.02)

That'll be the problem then..my firmware appears to be over a month newer. I assume they've picked up the bug and fixed it in newer versions..any idea if you can get yours reflashed?

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
cheekyspanky said:
I assume they've picked up the bug and fixed it in newer versions..any idea if you can get yours reflashed?
My options seem to be as follows:

1. Send it back to VF, although this may take ages, and I might end up with a different & refurbished model (which would be hopeless because I've already purchaced IMEI-locked applications), with no gurantee of actually getting the later firmware anyway.

2. Take it in to a Nokia Service Centre, although I hear that is also a bit hit-and-miss (some won't flash branded devices with generic firmware, apparentley).

3. The firmware, flashing software and a crack for the flashing software are unofficially available on the Internet. But you need a PC for that. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.