Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nomad, the company behind the pocket-sized NomadKey iPhone cable, today debuted the NomadPlus, a product that transforms an Apple charger into a portable battery pack.

While there are hundreds of different portable battery options for the iPhone, the NomadPlus is unique because it functions with an existing Apple charger. The NomadPlus plugs into an Apple wall charger, transforming it into a 1500 mAh portable battery with enough juice to recharge an iPhone to 70 percent.

nomadplus.jpg
One of the most cumbersome aspects of most battery packs is the recharging of the battery itself, but the NomadPlus allows the add-on battery to be charged as an iPhone charges via the wall charger, a simple solution that saves time and effort.

The NomadPlus is not much larger than an iPhone wall charger, measuring in at 2.75" x 1.33" x 1.10", and it weighs just 2.1 ounces. It supports pass-through charging, and will charge the iPhone before charging the battery itself.
While NomadPlus takes advantage of the Apple wall charger's superb design and engineering, its USB port can be used to power up any number of smartphone or tablet devices. Upcycling your wall plug with NomadPlus is the way to go when looking for a portable battery; it's a practical upgrade of something you already own.
The NomadPlus can be pre-ordered from the Nomad website for $39, but as noted by TechCrunch, entering the promo code "nomadplus" will cut the price down to $20, presumably for a limited time.

Article Link: NomadPlus Transforms an Apple Charger Into a Portable Battery

OPhotos

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
Deepest joy that the rest of the planet uses a different shaped official charger!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Wouldn't it be simpler if the battery simply had a built-in plug so you don't actually need to sacrifice your existing iPhone charger for this? What if you want to charge your iPhone and the battery simultaneously? What if you forgot your iPhone charger but still want to charge the battery? Other than being slightly cheaper since it's less hardware to build, what's the point of it not having a built in charger?

RVijay007

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Wouldn't it be simpler if the battery simply had a built-in plug so you don't actually need to sacrifice your existing iPhone charger for this? What if you want to charge your iPhone and the battery simultaneously? What if you forgot your iPhone charger but still want to charge the battery? Other than being slightly cheaper since it's less hardware to build, what's the point of it not having a built in charger?

I think you can still charge both simultaneously. This photo doesn't show it, but there is a USB input on the other side to charge both. It think they expect you to think of the Apple Charger and this device as one unit that you wouldn't unplug from one another and instead carry the whole thing around.

They probably didn't build their own plug with all the issues / negative PR around unofficial plugs that aren't built with the right components and can damage your device. Perhaps this doesn't show the iPhone message of an "unauthorized charging device" is connected.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Just ordered two of these for myself and the ladyfriend. Could have reaaaaaally used something like this over the past weekend. And at 50% list price? Soooooold.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Just ordered two of these for myself and the ladyfriend. Could have reaaaaaally used something like this over the past weekend. And at 50% list price? Soooooold.
My iPhone 4S (ever since iOS 7) deeply needs this most weekends when I'm more out and about all day. However, my iPhone 6 hopefully won't have that issue. I am tempted though at $20.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
What if you forgot your iPhone charger but still want to charge the battery?

From TFA:
It supports pass-through charging, and will charge the iPhone before charging the battery itself.

----------

I'd prefer this... 3000mAh battery and folding plugs:

Yet costs one and a half times as much. (Three times as much, when you take the coupon code in to account.)

Certainly better - but 3x better?

halfapie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Looks nice, but the capacity is only 1500mAh. Plus you still have to provide your own iPhone Charger.

So I don't see the point. Other $40 (or even $20) battery packs will let you charge your iPhone 2~3 times instead of "70%" once.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Because the Apple adapter is not "just a plug". It's a sophisticated device with a lot of circuitry.

Note this:
It supports pass-through charging, and will charge the iPhone before charging the battery itself.

The iPhone doesn't take that long to charge, unless I suppose you're trying to charge up in an airport or something.

----------

Who needs to charge their iPhone outside the US, anyway?

Did you forget a sarcasm emoticon? If not, then please elaborate.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Did you forget a sarcasm emoticon? If not, then please elaborate.
Simple really... Outside the US, iPhone chargers are shaped very very differently. For example, it is more like a triangle in the UK and a long rectangular prism (instead of a cube) in Europe.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Like Michael Scrip mentioned above, I prefer a battery/charger with foldable prongs than this. Apple's iPhone charger is too small (nor is required) to have foldable prongs but any bigger becomes a hassle to carry. Next problem is its tendency to discharge quickly without an on/off switch.

Last edited:

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I'd prefer this... 3000mAh battery and folding plugs:

Exactly; the NomadPlus solves the most trivial problem I've seen, while leaving the most troublesome part unsolved.

You're still left with a relatively bulky thing to carry around AND two prongs to stick into places that aren't limited to power sockets.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Looks completely pointless to me with such a low capacity. Just buy a smaller external battery that charges via usb and you'll save yourself space and money.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
$20 bucks for a device my wife will find easy to use? No brainer. That is if it ever arrives. Lol

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
just tried to order this, and the online payment system tried to make it an annual recurring charge. You can't buy it without approving multiple payments.

Beware!

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
NOMADPLUS is the coupon code that works for this new NomadPlus battery at 50% off.

LIVESIMPLE is a coupon code that will take 25% off the NomadClip and / or NomadKey

I'm more interested in the clip, but I have 2 hesitations. First, what happened to the NomadCard, and second, why do all 3 of their remaining current products have future shipping dates after years in business?

domo-origoto

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
NOMADPLUS is the coupon code that works for this new NomadPlus battery at 50% off.

LIVESIMPLE is a coupon code that will take 25% off the NomadClip and / or NomadKey

I'm more interested in the clip, but I have 2 hesitations. First, what happened to the NomadCard, and second, why do all 3 of their remaining current products have future shipping dates after years in business?

its a new product, so refinement is not surprising.

i have the card and key. the key is super useful, its always with you sicne your keys are always with you.

the card was an interesting idea but not to practical. it was big, yes it fits in wallets and such, but it takes up space in those. the clip makes more sense since you can clip it to your purse, backpack etc and more secure then a card. the key goes on a keychain so thats practical to keep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.