Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I want to install Mojave on a second partition of my MBP(9,1), but for a variety of reasons the drive is still AFPS and I DO NOT want to change it at this time.

I'd normally only install on a secondary machine, but I'm a bit "up a creek" as my only other potentially compatible computer(my MP 5,1) doesn't have a metal GPU(and I don't want to change it to one as SL compatibility is critical to its current use).

So, has Apple now made AFPS a requirement? If not, how can I avoid a format in place?

(if not, it may be time for an Optibay and a small secondary SSD).

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
When running the High Sierra beta I installed on an SD card. It was a cheap card, but the OS was surprisingly responsive!

Edit: I've just installed Mojave on an HFS+ formatted SD card again, and it looks like it converted it to APFS. Interesting! I'm going to have to try again and follow https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...startosinstall-tool-to-avoid-apfs-conversion/ to see if I can force no conversion

Second Edit: It doesn't look like it's an option anymore! When I use the --converttoapfs arg, I get an "unrecognised option" error. Likewise, when running with the --usage arg "--converttoapfs" isn't listed as an option

Last edited:

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I guess that means that my backup HDD and media HDD will be converted. Better make a backup of the backup...

And what about my Windows HDD? I guess I remove it before the macOS installation occurs(?)

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
I guess that means that my backup HDD and media HDD will be converted. Better make a backup of the backup...

And what about my Windows HDD? I guess I remove it before the macOS installation occurs(?)
I think it only converts the root volume - ie the install target - though I haven't installed it enough times on enough systems to see.

Reactions: PowerMac G4 MDD

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I think it only converts the root volume - ie the install target - though I haven't installed it enough times on enough systems to see.

Then is there perhaps a way to convert within Disk Utility? Or, perhaps I should just leave those drives alone.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Then is there perhaps a way to convert within Disk Utility? Or, perhaps I should just leave those drives alone.

Disk Utility has a feature where you can convert to APFS, but I haven’t tried it yet

Wait, that means you can't install 10.14 on HFS+ anymore? Great... :mad:

I don’t know yet. I want to try using the startosinstall from High Sierra, to see if I can get it to install on an HFS+ volume

homohurre123

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
Disk Utility has a feature where you can convert to APFS, but I haven’t tried it yet

I don’t know yet. I want to try using the startosinstall from High Sierra, to see if I can get it to install on an HFS+ volume
I think on the Hackintosh community some people already achieved it

Reactions: toru173

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
I can't get it to not convert. It will boot from HFS if I restore an image to an HFS partition and others have had luck by just using the Apple installer on the osinstall.mpkg bundle, but the installer always wants to format the target volume.

I think on the Hackintosh community some people already achieved it

Do you have a link? I'd love to know their process

homohurre123

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
I can't get it to not convert. It will boot from HFS if I restore an image to an HFS partition and others have had luck by just using the Apple installer on the osinstall.mpkg bundle, but the installer always wants to format the target volume.

Do you have a link? I'd love to know their process
I cant find the Thread where i've seen it unfortunately.
He's giving a few informations regarding apfs which could interest you
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...-running-mojave/?tab=comments#comment-2617089

I will continue searching if if can find the link

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
That's terrible news indeed, thank you for your efforts and for taking the time test this.

If that is indeed the case I will most likely not update to 10.14 considering the hoops I'd have to jump through to keep HFS+. That is until Apple honors their promise to fully document APFS. Until then I am not going to touch APFS on my production iMac with a 10 ft pole.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
That's terrible news indeed, thank you for your efforts and for taking the time test this.

If that is indeed the case I will most likely not update to 10.14 considering the hoops I'd have to jump through to keep HFS+. That is until Apple honors their promise to fully document APFS. Until then I am not going to touch APFS on my production iMac with a 10 ft pole.

I have one idea left. I would like to try to repackage BaseSystem.dmg and build a new BaseSystem.chunklist so the installer doesn't reject it. I've not found any documentation on how the .chunklist file is generated though, but it looks like - as it's name suggests - a list of values with a 32 byte header. I'm working on it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.