Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudeofblokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Not sure if it’s been posted before, Apple TV+ posts aren’t the easiest to find here, but I was wondering with Apple TV+ coming and all the Apple shows revealed, there seems to be a lack of other shows mentioned, surely to compete with the likes of Netflix and amazon etc they would have to offer a full range of other shows not just ones made by themselves, has anyone seen any info about this.
Netflix has shows like that 70s show, Star Trek, etc as well as originals im sure Apple would have to fill out their own shows with other shows?

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Not sure if it’s been posted before, Apple TV+ posts aren’t the easiest to find here, but I was wondering with Apple TV+ coming and all the Apple shows revealed, there seems to be a lack of other shows mentioned, surely to compete with the likes of Netflix and amazon etc they would have to offer a full range of other shows not just ones made by themselves, has anyone seen any info about this.
Netflix has shows like that 70s show, Star Trek, etc as well as originals im sure Apple would have to fill out their own shows with other shows?

i too was wondering why so little info.
but if you do a recent google search it is available for (some) countries.
apple claims TV+ will be available in over 100 markets when launched in November of this year.

i myself am eager to learn what Channels (mainly TV content?) will be available in my market.
but no word at all on that.
even though apple has a very inexpensive monthly price of USD 4.99 (advertised as JPY 600 here in Japan) per month there is zero word about anything other than apple's own shows.
no mention at all what other channels there might be included in that basic fee whatsoever.
i doubt i would buy the service if it winds up with only apple content, even for the equivalent of an inexpensive USD 4.99 per month.

this could end up being a colossal bust for apple if it turns out the way News and News+, which is still available in only a few countries.

apple has never done content well, except for music.
not maps, not books, not news, nor its several attempts to make inroads into social networking.
its clear a buyout of Netflix was the best thing it ever could have done.
it would have been as smart as when google bought Youtube for billions.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonyr6

Ben Harley

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
United Kingdom, London
They have right issues as of now.. I read somewhere that they are working on the licensing. I just watch shows and movies on Netflix, Prime and Hulu. Apple TV is a tortoise in this race right now. I take my movies and shows list from screenbinge.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Maybe a reason for the free year with the purchase of a device. They give themselves a year to play catch up and make it a competitive option.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Maybe a reason for the free year with the purchase of a device. They give themselves a year to play catch up and make it a competitive option.
Too bad my iPad was not eligible. ATV+ is not worth it just for originals. Other services have licensed content until ATV+ gets some licensed content to fill in the gaps it is not worth $5 month.

Reactions: jpn

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

If you noticed, Netflix is moving away from licensed content and spending more money on original content. Content licensing fees are complicated and quite expensive.

Netflix basically set the stage with how streaming companies will make money: own the content

Reactions: jpn

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If you noticed, Netflix is moving away from licensed content and spending more money on original content. Content licensing fees are complicated and quite expensive.

Netflix basically set the stage with how streaming companies will make money: own the content
That was the situation a year ago. The fact is now back-catalog is critical and Netflix is bleeding it. Their original content is pretty bad overall even if you consider BoJack Horseman and Stranger Things.

Netflix set the stage, but they're bombing on it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I think Netflix basically dug their own grave when they allowed all episodes of their original content to be made available right from the very start. That’s why they need licensed content - to give users something else to watch after they have finished binging their original content.

Apple and Disney’s approach is likely more sustainable in the long run. Spread your content out so there is something fresh every month to keep users engaged and subscribed. Plus Apple lets you get a 1-year plan upfront, which should go a long way towards reducing churn.

With TV+, you have the option of subscribing to other streaming services from within the TV app, which would give you additional content to watch in addition to Apple’s own shows. So I don’t think Apple needs third party content.

Reactions: StyxMaker

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
That was the situation a year ago. The fact is now back-catalog is critical and Netflix is bleeding it. Their original content is pretty bad overall even if you consider BoJack Horseman and Stranger Things.

Netflix set the stage, but they're bombing on it.

Netflix is geared towards multiple markets. Their original content reflects that. US consumers seems to think what we like is good for the rest of the world. Netflix has a verity of original content that you or I won’t like. This does not mean it is bad.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Netflix is geared towards multiple markets. Their original content reflects that. US consumers seems to think what we like is good for the rest of the world. Netflix has a verity of original content that you or I won’t like. This does not mean it is bad.

The problem with this argument is most of Netflix’s content is objectively bad now and they’re bleeding money.

Suggesting Netflix has bad content because of some international nonsense is insulting to the international markets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.