Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you wear the Apple Glass?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
I do not own eye-glasses, but I do wear sunglasses. Can you see the Apple Glasses going mainstream? What would you do when you need to switch to sunglasses... loose the "smart" capabilities? Now people would have to carry 2 pairs of glasses? Will everyone have two pick between 3 or 4 frame styles that look the same?

Seems like lots of "hurdles" to get over... but still, I am curious, would you make the jump? Wait it out? I am very intrigued by the possibility!

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
It'd have to do some life-changing sci-fi stuff to get me to wear something on my face. I can totally see how if I already wore glasses daily it'd be an easy switch (obviously it would still have to be a good product) but the jump from no glasses to wearing glasses is a big one.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
No. I can't think of anything worse than having distractions endlessly beamed into my retinas. At least I can put my phone in my pocket when I need to do something in the real world.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Highly unlikely I would entertain wearing these. Let’s see what they actually do and cost.
Agreed, the cost would be a factor... but I think privacy, function, and utility would be important for me. Then again, I hate wearing glasses so I do not know if I would make the jump.

Still discussing this vaporware?
It has its own subforum.

It'd have to do some life-changing sci-fi stuff to get me to wear something on my face. I can totally see how if I already wore glasses daily it'd be an easy switch (obviously it would still have to be a good product) but the jump from no glasses to wearing glasses is a big one.
Agreed. I do not wear glasses (beyond sunglasses) and do not see myself changing to a smart glass unless it really was revolutionary.

No. I can't think of anything worse than having distractions endlessly beamed into my retinas. At least I can put my phone in my pocket when I need to do something in the real world.
Great point, we are already overly connected. I wouldn't mind a mapping system maybe so I do not have to look down to my phone or center console. But again, my main concern would be privacy.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
For me it depends on the frame and type of lenses.

And If you see folks talk about a scratch on their phone or watch, can you even imagine the customer service nightmare that a scratch on a plastic lens will bring.

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
Sometimes when I take a walk I'm thinking about how it would be nice to pop up a video on an Apple Glass and just drift away. I really feel glasses are the next step in technology, together with a ring or something to control the UI.

johnsig

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
really good stuff here so let me throw in my thoughts. Firstly as someone who is partially sighted the ability to read signage or access maps without having a phone in front of my face would be a massive benefit. There is already tech out there that does this but at present I believe it it only android compatible. There is not reason why the glass couldn't be prescription but you would still need your airpods and i wonder what the battery drain would be on your phone if you were running more bluetooth connections simultaneously. most of us probably run 2 connections at once airpods/headset and watch. if you add glasses to that well. As regards sunglasses again could there be auto tint lenses costly but possible or even just use the old favourite clip on shades. any i await the glasses with interest. does anyone have a release date as yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.