Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abishagenaden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I've been using the iPod for more than a decade now so I'm completely out of the loop as it relates to non-iOS MP3 players...

If I have a 30-pin Apple cable/connector in my car which I've been using to connect my iPod and play music, would I be able to use that same cable/connector (via some kind of adapter or otherwise) to hook up a non-iOS MP3 player? Assume that the car does not have an aux input or cassette tape player.

Thanks in advance!

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
If I have a 30-pin Apple cable/connector in my car which I've been using to connect my iPod and play music, would I be able to use that same cable/connector (via some kind of adapter or otherwise) to hook up a non-iOS MP3 player? Assume that the car does not have an aux input or cassette tape player.

Apple uses non-standard connectors that only work on Apple devices. You would only be able to use the 30-pin Apple connector on older Apple devices. About 2 and a half years ago, Apple has switched to a new Lightning connector and Apple mobile devices released after that time all use the new Lightning connector. Apple mobile devices prior to that time used the old 30-pin Apple connector.

abishagenaden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Apple uses non-standard connectors that only work on Apple devices. You would only be able to use the 30-pin Apple connector on older Apple devices. About 2 and a half years ago, Apple has switched to a new Lightning connector and Apple mobile devices released after that time all use the new Lightning connector. Apple mobile devices prior to that time used the old 30-pin Apple connector.

Thanks, Stuntman -- I did some research and it looks like there are indeed some Apple-certified (so they audio signals can also be transmitted) 30-pin to lightning adapters on the market at the moment. So seems like I would still be able to use a new-gen iOS device with the 30-pin cable (via the adapter). From what you are saying though, doesn't sound like the 30-pin cable can be 'adapted' to be used on a non-Apple device.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I don't think I've seen anything other than a 30pin to lightning, aye

Amazon has some poorly rated 30pin to usb, but seems to only be for charging

abishagenaden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I don't think I've seen anything other than a 30pin to lightning, aye

Amazon has some poorly rated 30pin to usb, but seems to only be for charging

Yeah it appears only the OEM Apple adapters allow for audio transmission. The other knockoffs seem to only charge devices.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
The 30-pin Apple connectors usually have a USB connector on the other end. I would just like to clarify whether the 30-pin Apple cable in your car is directly connected to your car or if you can unplug the other end. If you can unplug the other end, is it a standard USB connector? If so, then you should be able to just use any music player that can connect into a USB port. Most modern phones and MP3 music players will have a cable that can connect to any standard USB port.

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
In my car, I skipped the MP3 player, and just loaded all of my music onto a USB drive. Plugs into the port in the center console. They make some really low profile drives now so size is not an issue, nor is charging. If you are looking for solely something in the car, and have a USB port, this is a no brainer.

I use Ford Sync and it works flawlessly. Simply load the music right from iTunes onto the drive, insert drive, it recognizes it, and everything shows up.

abishagenaden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
In my car, I skipped the MP3 player, and just loaded all of my music onto a USB drive. Plugs into the port in the center console. They make some really low profile drives now so size is not an issue, nor is charging. If you are looking for solely something in the car, and have a USB port, this is a no brainer.

I use Ford Sync and it works flawlessly. Simply load the music right from iTunes onto the drive, insert drive, it recognizes it, and everything shows up.

Yep, wish this was an option but unfortunately my dad's car is an old 2008'er (I'm doing this research for him really), and he didn't get it with all the bells and whistles so no USB jack in there, unfortunately.

AndriOS871221

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
Yep, wish this was an option but unfortunately my dad's car is an old 2008'er (I'm doing this research for him really), and he didn't get it with all the bells and whistles so no USB jack in there, unfortunately.

Use AUX to Bluetooth adapter. I have one of this, simply plug into car's AUX port and use it as Bluetooth receiver. I have 2008 Malibu.

I have the HTC desire 510 with 64GB SD card on without any SIM card. This is perfect cheap none iOS MP3 plauer. Just load a your musics into the SD card and Google Play Music takes care playing. Connect to the Bluetooth thing and I am happy.

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008

Have you checked everywhere for a USB port? Sometimes they are hidden in the glovebox or center console. Just because it is a 2008 doesn't mean it is hidden. My ex wife bought a 2009 Nissan Rogue and it had one.

abishagenaden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Have you checked everywhere for a USB port? Sometimes they are hidden in the glovebox or center console. Just because it is a 2008 doesn't mean it is hidden. My ex wife bought a 2009 Nissan Rogue and it had one.

Going to ask my folks to double-check (they are in a different country). Upon reading your comment I researched some more and found another forum discussing that make and model, and apparently some people with the iPod kit do indeed have the aux port, but the dealer never drilled a hole in the covering plastic so you have to remove the panel to check (and then drill a hole if you want to use it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.