Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Is there anything to prevent current vendors of Windows-compatible online digital film and television programming (ITV or Amazon or Sky here in the UK for example) from also making their products available indedependent of iTMS but in a suitable format for :apple:TV? Surely a small licensing fee to re-encode in Apple's encryption format wouldn't be an obstacle.

:apple:TV seems to be selling quite well, and I would think that if it is not expensive to make sure content available in a second format for :apple:TV users if they perceive there to be a market. Before :apple:TV, I can see why these vendors only sold properties for Windows.

Thoughts?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Right now, I am really adverse to buying movie content online because of the coming HD transition, considering the downloads are all stereo audio and 640x480 (even Unbox and the like).

Especially when using Handbrake (the upcoming beta), I can produce actual DVD-quality rips, with 5.1 audio, and make it play on Apple TV from my existing collection. The convenience for me is being able to put my DVDs in a box in the attic.

I think we need the downloadable content to properly compete in the market before considering whose content should be on my TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.