Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtphokie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Any word on when/if an SDK path for Windows or linux based developers?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It seems very unlikely that a Windows or Linux development environment is coming.

The iPhone dev environment is the Mac dev environment. I doubt Apple will put the resources in porting it to another platform.

arn

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
It seems very unlikely that a Windows or Linux development environment is coming.

The iPhone dev environment is the Mac dev environment. I doubt Apple will put the resources in porting it to another platform.

arn

Agreed. Having the iPhone SDK only on the Mac is another way of selling Apple Macs.

I'd say it is extremely unlikely to ever happen.

gaffneyc

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
A non-Mac path is pretty unlikely. Besides porting XCode and Interface Builder to run on Windows/Linux they would also have to port a majority of the Cocoa libraries which the iPhone Simulator uses to "emulate" the iPhone. Then there is the whole Objective-C 2.0 runtime. On top of that there are key management issues, so KeyChain would have to come along too.

Really your best bet with doing iPhone development outside of OSX would be to get started doing work with an unlocked iPhone on Linux. O'Reilly has a book out called "Open Application Development on the iPhone" (or something similar) that runs through the process of getting up and running with a build chain on Linux. The book itself is mostly junk (dealloc should never _ever_ call [self dealloc]) but that section might get you started. Of course if you ever plan on actually releasing the application through the App Store you will need a mac to do the signing and final build.

-Chris

txmike

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Pretty much a zero probability...

With Macs being Intel based now and with the ability to run other OSes through either virtualization or dual boot, I think there is zero chance Apple is going to devote the resources to porting to Windows.

If you don't have a Mac, get one for your next computer. When you really dig into the hardware, the Apple premium is pretty minor (or in many cases, non-existent), especially if you're a serious developer and you intend to make a living developing for the iPhone.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
It would be about as likely as Microsoft releasing Visual Studio 2008 on OSX and Linux so people could make Windows Mobile apps.

ie. Not going to happen.

The price of a Mac Mini + iphone development registration is peanuts compared to normal development costs. For a home developer it's more of a strain.. but not greatly so.

Monkaaay

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
Richmond, VA
It certainly would be nice. I think Google Android will benefit from the fact their platform is based on Java. A language that many developers already know and are comfortable with. Not so with Objective-C and Cocoa.

zonkola

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
A used Mac Mini and a USB switch to share monitor/mouse/keyboard with your PC would run about $500.

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
You'll never see the SDK on a non-Mac platform. Ever.

That doesn't stop you from building a game in OpenGLES, for example, and then incorporating it into an iPhone project on a Mac further down the road - you'll lose out on a lot by fragmenting your time and effort that way, but if it's a case of not wanting to splash out until you're ready, then it's probably reasonable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.