Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Hey guys,

I have a late 2010 Mac Pro and the 27" LED Cinema Display (Non Thunderbolt).

I've been thinking about getting the new Mac Pro and was wondering if my display will work with it? I'm guessing not, seeing as Apple brought out a newer Thunderbolt version a few years back.

Maybe there's an adapter i can get to make it work? I can't seem to find one on the Apple store though.

Hope someone can answer this for me.

Cheers!

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about getting the new Mac Pro and was wondering if my display will work with it? I'm guessing not, seeing as Apple brought out a newer Thunderbolt version a few years back.

Maybe there's an adapter i can get to make it work? I can't seem to find one on the Apple store though.

Cheers!

It will work fine. It uses a standard minidisplayport. It will attach to the nMPs thunderbolt port but will only receive the DisplayPort portion of information. It can't pass through thunderbolt so you should place it at the end of a daisy chain if that is important to you.

Reactions: futurevibe

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
It will work fine. It uses a standard minidisplayport. It will attach to the nMPs thunderbolt port but will only receive the DisplayPort portion of information. It can't pass through thunderbolt so you should place it at the end of a daisy chain if that is important to you.
That's great to hear. Thanks a lot for your help mate! ;)

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Hey guys,

Cheers!
Been using one for years before switching to a Dell UW1838 on a flashed Radeon 7970.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.