Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mormislaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
Poland
Hello guys!
I decided to buy an unknown condition (which always means that it's broken) iPod Classic 5G 80GB.
It looks good on the outside, the display has some black lines on the right, no big deal on the inside there's no HDD ribbon, has something that looks like a little bit of rust next to the click wheel, it goes away after scrubbing it with a plastic pick, everything else seems fine.
However, it doesn't turn on at all, after connecting it to my computer, the light on my USB HUB doesn't light up, tried holding the middle + menu buttons, no reaction.
Have any of you had and fixed this problem? Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Sorry for my mediocre English, I'm not a native speaker.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Without looking at it at a repair shop it's hard to tell. If there's rust that means there was water, and anything could have gone wrong on the circuitry.

Check out "Louis Rossman" on YouTube for an example on how they find problems.

Mormislaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
Poland
Without looking at it at a repair shop it's hard to tell. If there's rust that means there was water, and anything could have gone wrong on the circuitry.

Check out "Louis Rossman" on YouTube for an example on how they find problems.
Hi! From what I know, there's a liquid indicator in the headphone jack, and it's completely white, and I'm not sure if this is rust since it comes off very easily

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
Hello guys!
I decided to buy an unknown condition (which always means that it's broken) iPod Classic 5G 80GB.
It looks good on the outside, the display has some black lines on the right, no big deal on the inside there's no HDD ribbon, has something that looks like a little bit of rust next to the click wheel, it goes away after scrubbing it with a plastic pick, everything else seems fine.
However, it doesn't turn on at all, after connecting it to my computer, the light on my USB HUB doesn't light up, tried holding the middle + menu buttons, no reaction.
Have any of you had and fixed this problem? Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Sorry for my mediocre English, I'm not a native speaker.
Hi,
I guess there is some water damage. Hard to repair, very hard.

Regards
Torsten

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Hi! From what I know, there's a liquid indicator in the headphone jack, and it's completely white, and I'm not sure if this is rust since it comes off very easily

Even so, it’s possible some water made it in to the front and not the headphone jack. and even if water didn’t make contact at all, since it’s been disassembled, somebody could have damaged the circuit and you need a microscope + circuit schematics to see if any of the small components were damaged to effectively diagnose the issue.
[doublepost=1567523260][/doublepost]
Hi,
I guess there is some water damage. Hard to repair, very hard.

Regards
Torsten

agreed. Without a repair shop and microscope... the outlook is grim

Mormislaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
Poland
Even so, it’s possible some water made it in to the front and not the headphone jack. and even if water didn’t make contact at all, since it’s been disassembled, somebody could have damaged the circuit and you need a microscope + circuit schematics to see if any of the small components were damaged to effectively diagnose the issue.
[doublepost=1567523260][/doublepost]

agreed. Without a repair shop and microscope... the outlook is grim
Is there a chance that doing this:
(5:20 part) would clean this up and make it work again? I'm really a newbie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.