Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2021
Apple-Vision-Pro-Gear.jpg

It turns out the Vision Pro is just another VR device with AR feature because the front side is totally blocked by many chips and sensors. Yes, that means you are looking the world via camera sensor which is a huge problem. Those eyes from the image above? That's a display. The problem with camera sensors, especially small sensors, is that they are not even close to human eyes. They still struggle with DR and requires a lot of effort to get nice video. If you are in low light or dark area? Good luck, you will see a lot of noise as well as low video quality.

Hololens-header-1.jpg

MS HoloLens has visible front side just like a glasses which has no issues with what Vision Pro has. Dont expect to replace your glasses with Vision Pro because the camera sensor still lacks a lot of performance and features to replace human eyes yet. I think this might be a major issue as the camera sensor isn't as perfect as human eyes and Apple isn't really talking about this.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I don’t remember if they talked about the dynamic range and resolution for the camera sensors, but the screens for each eye seem to have enough pixels now. I just want to try it to see if this is big enough to fill my full range of view if I move my eyes up and down. I don’t want there to be any black areas with no pixels.it doesn’t even need to be really high res either around the edges.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
It is easy to dramatically overestimate what the human eye can really do. Much of it's apparent power is actually image processing from the brain. If you could use a human eye as a camera, you'd be surprised at how bad the raw image was. Floaters, a blind spot, only one spot of high resolution while the rest is fuzzy, but more sensitive to motion, and low light. And the eye's wide dynamic range comes from having your iris change as you look at different things. The Vision Pro will be fine.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I don’t remember if they talked about the dynamic range and resolution for the camera sensors, but the screens for each eye seem to have enough pixels now. I just want to try it to see if this is big enough to fill my full range of view if I move my eyes up and down. I don’t want there to be any black areas with no pixels.it doesn’t even need to be really high res either around the edges.

Do you figure any screen and camera combination can exceed the quality of your own eyes? Just curious.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It is easy to dramatically overestimate what the human eye can really do. Much of it's apparent power is actually image processing from the brain. If you could use a human eye as a camera, you'd be surprised at how bad the raw image was. Floaters, a blind spot, only one spot of high resolution while the rest is fuzzy, but more sensitive to motion, and low light. And the eye's wide dynamic range comes from having your iris change as you look at different things. The Vision Pro will be fine.

Seems like a janky argument since the brain has a lot more processing power and the AVP is only 100% compatible for people without glasses unless they want to spring for additional Zeiss lenses.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
Seems like a janky argument since the brain has a lot more processing power and the AVP is only 100% compatible for people without glasses unless they want to spring for additional Zeiss lenses.
This is a problem with PSVR2 as well, and really any headset.

Lens inserts inherently create an ever further divide between you and the image, meaning your eyes are further back and so you can’t see as much as if those lens inserts weren’t there.

It’s simple physics unfortunately because the lenses are just too thick to not be noticeable in how they cut your FOV. The lenses would literally have to be almost paper-thin to avoid this…

At this price, one would’ve hoped they’d have found some way to automatically correct poor eyesight as well.

Guess this is the first new apple OS I won’t be experiencing until quite some time after launch… I’m thinking I’ll only buy in when the price is under $1999 and the battery life is at least 4 hours…

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005

Ars Technica's review said the Field of View is similar to other VR headsets: "The company wouldn’t say exactly what the FOV is, but to me, it seemed comparable to VR headsets. You don’t have your full peripheral vision"

If you move your eyes up and down, you will instinctively move your head so you don't look at the black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.