Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Who's to say Apple didn't copy North Korea's version of OSX? As a workers paradise thinking original thoughts and creating new ways of doing things is a way of life there. Plus it is a peaceful law abiding place. Not one of their citizens would ever copy someone else's creation.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Steve Jobs was rumored to have said he was going to go thermonuclear on Google for them copying iOS into what we now know as Android.

Think Apple would coin the same phrase against North Korea? :p

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
All that effort for the ~1000 people in NK who will ever get to use a computer in their lifetime (barring social change)?

Sad and true. Almost no one is allowed online. I have access to more IP addresses than their entire country does.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Clearly this is a statement that when it comes to OSs, not even the North Koreans like Windows. They could have copied Chrome, Window, ubuntu, whatever, but chose Apple. At least in this regard, this is totally a compliment.:D

However, I am sure that they added a ton of filters and spyware so they can track your every move. Trying to go to an unapproved website probably sends a note to their version on the NSA. ;)

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
I found screen shots of version 2...

140130-redstar2-vmc.png

140130-redstar2-word.png

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Can we blame it on Dennis Rodman :D.

So the rumor is true. Dennis Rodman gave one of the first-shipping Mac Pros as (January) birthday gift to Kim Jong-Un.

macpro_02.jpg

Kim: "What this beautiful device?!!"

Rodman: "Your birthday gift, Excellency!"

Kim: "Fantastical! How many megatons power when it explode?!"

Rodman: "No no, Kim. It's not a thermonuclear bomb. It's a new computer. A very advanced one from the States."

Kim: "Oh. I so losing interest already." [hands the Mac Pro to his chief science officer]

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
South Korea copies the phones and North Korea copies the OS. Maybe its something in the water over there.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Wow even the calculator looks the same. The movie app icon is a mash of the original iMovie icon and a film canister. Maybe Forstall went over there due to the heavy use of skeumorphism in their icons.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The more I look at these screenshots, the more I want to try this OS, just to see what it's like. Anybody got a torrent? (Serious question)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Chances are good it's a Linux derivative. You'd probably have better luck getting PearOS, and tweaking the theme a little bit to make it even more OSX-like.

Cheers matey! My only experiences with Linux distros have been Ubuntu & Fedora, so I'll check this out. Looks good from the screenshots.

I was under the impression it was a ground-up Korean programmed thing, but looking at the screenshots from PearOS, I think I may have given NK a little too much credit ... ;)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So it has an Apple Mac like look on top of Linux.

That is not far from what Apple did tens years ago. They placed an Apple look on top on BSD UNIX and created Mac OS X which is BSD based. (Actually the project was done at Next, then Apple bought Next.)

Google placed an Android look on top of Linux to make their phone/tablet OS.

NK has made a slightly different mix, a Mac like look over Linux. Linux has an advantage in that it runs on so many different architectures, Intel, ARM, MIPS, S360 and everything else you can think of. Everything from wrist watches to mainframes. I think they picked the best stuff.

Renzatic

Suspended
Cheers matey! My only experiences with Linux distros have been Ubuntu & Fedora, so I'll check this out. Looks good from the screenshots.

You've also got Elementary OS, which I thought was an all around excellent distro. It's not exactly OSX-like, but it's definitely inspired by it.

I was under the impression it was a ground-up Korean programmed thing, but looking at the screenshots from PearOS, I think I may have given NK a little too much credit ... ;)

Well, they do deserve some credit. It's a pretty well done clone at least. :p

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I bet that is loaded with spyware to track what the people are doing and report back to the local peoples monitors

And since it's Linux, they're probably using some malicious code from the NSA that let's the NSA spy on everyone, too.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
The more I look at these screenshots, the more I want to try this OS, just to see what it's like. Anybody got a torrent? (Serious question)

I can't vouch for or be responsible for these extremely slow links that I found on Wikipedia, but I'm gonna' give it a try:

"Red Star Linux Disc 1 (.iso) – Bootable installation disc. (720mb)".
http://www.openingupnorthkorea.com/DPRK Red Star.iso

"Red Star Linux Disc 2 (.iso) – Additional supplementary software. (700mb)".
http://www.openingupnorthkorea.com/Red Star Software.iso

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.