Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itslukew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Ballarat, Australia
Recently, my mid 2009 Macbook Pro & my Late 2010 iMac have all been acting up. Both are running Mavericks.
For example on my iMac, when I run Motion 5, after a few effects and layers the whole thing crashes, and I loose my work. But apple is silly enough not to put in an auto-save / recovery system to keep my work.

Now recently, I decided to try iMovie '13 and it did this to my iMac:

gbtAuAw.jpg

Wow. Couldn't believe Apple was capable of doing this. After this happened I rebooted my machine and it was gone. But this tells me that my GPU could be failing.

Now I load iMovie '13 onto my Macbook Pro. The whole thing locks up a few times and then the thing that really made me mad happened, it rebooted my entire machine with a "kernel" error message. Ok, just great. Oh, and another thing I hate about my iMac at the moment is that the Superdrive only lasted till last year. Again, WTF?

You spend premium on this hardware and you would expect it to last a long time.

Apple, really get your act together. Stop messing things up.

Last edited:

Jexta

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2011
Apple doesn't have, nor even claim to have, a magic formula that will prevent things breaking.

It's unfortunate that you are suffering problems with your hardware, but getting upset over it isn't the right way to go about things. Perhaps enlisting the help of an Authorised Apple Service Provider to diagnose your machine and check for hardware problems would be a constructive way to deal with these issues?

itslukew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Ballarat, Australia
Okay...

Apple doesn't have, nor even claim to have, a magic formula that will prevent things breaking.

It's unfortunate that you are suffering problems with your hardware, but getting upset over it isn't the right way to go about things. Perhaps enlisting the help of an Authorised Apple Service Provider to diagnose your machine and check for hardware problems would be a constructive way to deal with these issues?

Oh, ok. I will just fork out some more money, just to have someone say 'nothing is wrong with it'. Great! There does not need to be some 'magical' formula to this problem It shouldn't have happened in the first place, huh I have had pcs that have lasted way longer than this mac. And no I'm not complaining I was merely seeing if anyone else had this problem and if they had a solution. I only used the term 'RANT' to make sure that nobody saw this as a hate thread.

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
Maybe you have some funky drivers, corruption or incompatible apps you need to clean out? RAM going bad? Happened to me once. I'd start by zapping the PRAM and repairing permissions and disk in recovery mode. I did that after installing Mavericks and it's been smooth sailing since, and it's been 6 or 7 weeks. I don't recall the last time my Mac crashed but it's been years. I don't use iMove but my Creative Suite CS5.5 and Premiere are flawless. I've edited lots of HD video and couldn't be happier. I have lots of old apps and even Bia Peak Pro, Toast 7 and Quicken 2007 are stable.

itslukew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Ballarat, Australia
Moderator, please lock this thread!

Maybe you have some funky drivers, corruption or incompatible apps you need to clean out? RAM going bad? Happened to me once. I'd start by zapping the PRAM and repairing permissions and disk in recovery mode. I did that after installing Mavericks and it's been smooth sailing since, and it's been 6 or 7 weeks. I don't recall the last time my Mac crashed but it's been years. I don't use iMove but my Creative Suite CS5.5 and Premiere are flawless. I've edited lots of HD video and couldn't be happier. I have lots of old apps and even Bia Peak Pro, Toast 7 and Quicken 2007 are stable.

Thankyou sooo much! It worked!

Also, moderator, please lock this thread!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.