Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hevans47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2020
Hello guys,
I'm trying to make a bootable USB with Sierra. It's using the "GUID partition map", and is formatted to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with the name "MyVolume". The "Install MacOS Sierra" is in my applications folder and I'm entering this command into terminal;

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

No matter what the message "/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid volume mount point." comes up.
I have no clue where I'm going wrong, any help is massively appreciated!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello guys,
I'm trying to make a bootable USB with Sierra. It's using the "GUID partition map", and is formatted to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with the name "MyVolume". The "Install MacOS Sierra" is in my applications folder and I'm entering this command into terminal;

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

No matter what the message "/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid volume mount point." comes up.
I have no clue where I'm going wrong, any help is massively appreciated!
Covered here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-fix-a-damaged-macos-installer.2207545/post-28341720

Reactions: hevans47
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.