Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Hi all,

Anyone having issue booting to W10 when using NVMe Mojave?
I'm not able to boot to windows from Mojave (in NVMe) and I have to remove the PCIe (NVMe) to make my Mac able to boot into W10.

My setup:
Mojave in SATA
Mojave in PCIe (NVMe)
W10 CSM in SATA

So when I choose W10 in from start-up disk and restart, W10 won't start unless I remove my NVMe drive.

SOLVED:
I'm able to boot to W10 successfully by moving out the PCIe (NVMe) to different slot (from 3 to 4) basically swapping it with my USB3 card.

Last edited:

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
I have a similar issue with a PCIe AHCI drive. In my case, the problem is because of an option ROM on the drive, which causes issues with CSM. Hopefully, Microsoft can resolve the corruption issues with UEFI installations, because not only are CSM installations on PCIe drives impossible, but the mere presence of PCIe drives can prevent booting CSM installations on other drives as well.

Reactions: octoviaa

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Hi cdf,

Thank you for your information.

I wasn't able to boot to recovery when enabling the Mojave NVMe also, to be able to boot to recovery I need to select the Mojave in SATA.

Is this known issue too (not able to boot to recovery in NVMe)?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Is this known issue too (not able to boot to recovery in NVMe)?

No it's not... At least for every NVMe I've tried.

Once you boot into Mojave ON THE NVMe and THAT DRIVE shows as selected in your startup disk applet. You should have no problems booting into Recovery Mode from that drive.

As soon as you switch away from that drive, your Mac will search the last drive booted for the recovery mode.

Reactions: octoviaa and cdf

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
Hi all,

Anyone having issue booting to W10 when using NVMe Mojave?
I'm not able to boot to windows from Mojave (in NVMe) and I have to remove the PCIe (NVMe) to make my Mac able to boot into W10.

My setup:
Mojave in SATA
Mojave in PCIe (NVMe)
W10 CSM in SATA

So when I choose W10 in from start-up disk and restart, W10 won't start unless I remove my NVMe drive.
I don't have the problem at all. I have my Mojave in NVME and win 10 1903 CSM mode in SATA tray 1. I can switch between macOS and win 10 without any problem.

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
I don't have the problem at all. I have my Mojave in NVME and win 10 1903 CSM mode in SATA tray 1. I can switch between macOS and win 10 without any problem.
Thanks,
Can you tell us your NVMe drive brand/model and the NVMe PCIe card?

Mine is as in my signature: ex920 1TB on RIITOP card

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
Thanks,
Can you tell us your NVMe drive brand/model and the NVMe PCIe card?

Mine is as in my signature: ex920 1TB on RIITOP card
My nvme ssd is SM 961. I don't think it is the NVME that cause the problem. I did install my win10 to a 2.5inch ssd via a PC. Then I move the 2.5inch ssd to the Mac Pro. I suggest you to try that. Microsoft is not going adapt win10 to Mac Pro anymore. It is suppose to be Apple's responsibility.

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
My nvme ssd is SM 961. I don't think it is the NVME that cause the problem. I did install my win10 to a 2.5inch ssd via a PC. Then I move the 2.5inch ssd to the Mac Pro. I suggest you to try that. Microsoft is not going adapt win10 to Mac Pro anymore. It is suppose to be Apple's responsibility.
Thank you. I don't have a PC ready at the moment.
Thanks for the information though.

ipadawan

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2019

Because I have the same problem.
Question, is that drive now an internal drive in your mac pro? Is this drive one windows partition Or divided into more partitions?

hmmm, what do you think about the following. I create a windows partition on my macbook pro, install windows using bootcamp, then i copy that to a windows partition external drive with two partitions (win and APFS), then move that drive into my iMac.
Could that work? With what of app should I create a copy of that windows partition?

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Just to clarify my setup:
W10 (CSM) on SSD SATA second port under the DVD drive
Mojave on SSD SATA 1
Mojave on PCIe NVMe (EX920 1TB, PCIe card: RIITOP) on the third PCI slot.

Booting to W10 won't work unless I pull out the NVMe.
Without the NVMe, I can boot back and fort between windows and Mojave all using internal SATA just fine.

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
Because I have the same problem.
Question, is that drive now an internal drive in your mac pro? Is this drive one windows partition Or divided into more partitions?

hmmm, what do you think about the following. I create a windows partition on my macbook pro, install windows using bootcamp, then i copy that to a windows partition external drive with two partitions (win and APFS), then move that drive into my iMac.
Could that work? With what of app should I create a copy of that windows partition?
SATA drivers are always recognized as internal driver. NVME is always external unless u did some trick to spoof the system(I did not do it.). I can not speak of your assumption because I never tried. My windows driver only has one partition, and it is formatted by PC under CSM model(You must change it under bios from UEFI to CSM before install a windows on a PC.).

Why is iMac? This is the Mac Pro problem.

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
This issue is resolved by moving out the PCIe NVMe to different slot, thanks to post: #9

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.