Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xbfryfd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
I bought a 2010 Mac Pro recently and I just got an m.2 SSD and adapter PCIe card. I was running off an old SSD temporarily while I waited to get the new m.2. Well it came in and I was able to format it, but I couldn’t install high Sierra. I open the installer and let it install but when it boots up it just goes to the old SSD and it doesn’t show the m.2 in startup disks. Am I missing something or is this the wrong way to do this? I also tried with a bootable USB drive and same thing. Any help would be much appreciated.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I bought a 2010 Mac Pro recently and I just got an m.2 SSD and adapter PCIe card. I was running off an old SSD temporarily while I waited to get the new m.2. Well it came in and I was able to format it, but I couldn’t install high Sierra. I open the installer and let it install but when it boots up it just goes to the old SSD and it doesn’t show the m.2 in startup disks. Am I missing something or is this the wrong way to do this? I also tried with a bootable USB drive and same thing. Any help would be much appreciated.
You have to upgrade the firmware to the current one, Apple started the native support for NVMe with a recent Mojave firmware, 140.0.0.0.0. Upgrade to the current one, 144.0.0.0.0, then you can use High Sierra with NVMe.

Read this first post several times until you resolve all the issues keeping you from upgrade your BootROM firmware:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-bootrom-upgrade-instructions-thread.2142418/

Xbfryfd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
You have to upgrade the firmware to the current one, Apple started the native support for NVMe with a recent Mojave firmware, 140.0.0.0.0. Upgrade to the current one, 144.0.0.0.0, then you can use High Sierra with NVMe.

Read this first post several times until you resolve all the issues keeping you from upgrade your BootROM firmware:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-bootrom-upgrade-instructions-thread.2142418/
Thanks a bunch! I was able to get it all running and working well off of the nvme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.