Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
I would imagine the primary driver for OLED is weight / thickness rather than brightness levels or contrast ratios.

Same.

The keyboard is heavy because it has to offset the weight of the iPad (otherwise it would just fall over), so a drop in the weight of the device should also result in a lighter keyboard. It should hopefully weigh less than the MacBook Air this time around!

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
I didn't deny blooming, I just said that video should not be used to judge anything because reality looks nothing like it. I watched the source version of that scene on my M1 12.9 in a dark room and there is no similarity between them wrt blooming. None at all. I advise nstyle, the OP, not to take anything away from it.
So I see blooming in that scene, and nStyle sees blooming in that scene, but we’re not supposed to take anything from a scene we see blooming in because [checks your comment] you said so.

Thumbs up.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
So I see blooming in that scene, and nStyle sees blooming in that scene, but we’re not supposed to take anything from a scene we see blooming in because [checks your comment] you said so.

Thumbs up.

That scene in reality looks nothing like that video. nStyle is not seeing what he would see on an actual device. Stop pretending that that video looks like what you actually see because it isn't even close.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Just got a 65" OLED TV today (hooked up to my Hack/Win11 machine)

Holy spicoli
Jaw on the floor - so gorgeous
Had to source an entirely new collection of super high resolution nature wallpapers

OLED iPad - STAT!
Yes please

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
That scene in reality looks nothing like that video. nStyle is not seeing what he would see on an actual device. Stop pretending that that video looks like what you actually see because it isn't even close.
nStyle literally used his iPad Pro to watch the scene and confirmed it. That video is extremely close if not exact to what I see. You're in denial. It's ok.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
nStyle literally used his iPad Pro to watch the scene and confirmed it. That video is extremely close if not exact to what I see. You're in denial. It's ok.

Tonight, I watched the original scene in episode 6 of the Severance series on my M1 iPad Pro - it does not look like that posted footage. At all. I'm done here - this is a waste of time and I'll ignore this thread. Believe what you want, you're in your own world of denial. Goodbye.

• Love
Reactions: 6749974

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
I would imagine the primary driver for OLED is weight / thickness rather than brightness levels or contrast ratios.
You're not wrong that OLED is paper thin and allows a reduction in weight/thickness. Apple is for sure excited about that. But making the iPad a few mm thinner and a few grams lighter isn't the primary driver for buyers to upgrade their already expensive iPad Pros to buy newly expensive iPad Pros with allegedly raised pricing; or for new customers to buy their first iPad Pro. Sales and customer acquisition are Apple's primary motivator (as is raising the stock value).

I imagine it will be fairly easy in an Apple promo video to demonstrate OLED next to an 11" iPad Pro with edge lit backlighting and give people FOMO with how good OLED looks. Thats the driver. And then they can do the same with the 12.9" iPad Pro, not in brightness levels and contrast ratios, but in blooming and slow pixel response, although I have reservations they would ever do that. I think they will just tout the benefits of OLED (better color, viewing angles, improved detail even at the same resolution) and that will do 60% of the selling. The rest will be a combination of "thinner, lighter, new Apple Pencil and features, new Magic Keyboard and features" and so on.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Just got a 65" OLED TV today (hooked up to my Hack/Win11 machine)

Holy spicoli
Jaw on the floor - so gorgeous
Had to source an entirely new collection of super high resolution nature wallpapers

OLED iPad - STAT!
Yes please
Congratulations. Thats a life upgrade. What movie will you watch first? Also, what TV brand/model did you decide on and why?

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Congratulations. Thats a life upgrade. What movie will you watch first? Also, what TV brand/model did you decide on and why?

LG C3 65" because I got it for $800
(local seller)

Had cross shopped the Sammy S90C and A75L and A80L from Sony

QD-OLED I'm sure would be nice to have, but when coming from my very old plasma I realized that anything OLED will be a massive brightness upgrade so I stopped worrying about the better brightness from QD's and the MLA G3 from LG

Frankly, this thing gets WAY brighter than I need or can really tolerate

I'd also pondered a non OLED 8k for even more pixels since I use this as my main monitor, but I really love OLED blacks and decided that 4k is enough resolution for me, especially at my usage distance. I also didn't want those more pixels for the gaming I do on the Windows side. 4k is more than enough to deal with and worry about driving as it is.

I know some think it's nuts, but I'm in love with using a large TV as monitor and having my desk be 4-6' back

My eyes just love being further away

In terms of a movie -- nothing tonight, but might give Interstellar a go this weekend -- it's one of my favorites and space movies + OLED are just pure pleasure. For that matter, though, I might even just pop in some ST:TNG BluRay action!

I'm only on 4k/60hz tonight as I'm waiting on a new cable tomorrow..
The pleasure train continues once I get "ProMotion" tomorrow!!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
LG C3 65" because I got it for $800
(local seller)

Had cross shopped the Sammy S90C and A75L and A80L from Sony

QD-OLED I'm sure would be nice to have, but when coming from my very old plasma I realized that anything OLED will be a massive brightness upgrade so I stopped worrying about the better brightness from QD's and the MLA G3 from LG

Frankly, this thing gets WAY brighter than I need or can really tolerate

I'd also pondered a non OLED 8k for even more pixels since I use this as my main monitor, but I really love OLED blacks and decided that 4k is enough resolution for me, especially at my usage distance. I also didn't want those more pixels for the gaming I do on the Windows side. 4k is more than enough to deal with and worry about driving as it is.

I know some think it's nuts, but I'm in love with using a large TV as monitor and having my desk be 4-6' back

My eyes just love being further away

In terms of a movie -- nothing tonight, but might give Interstellar a go this weekend -- it's one of my favorites and space movies + OLED are just pure pleasure. For that matter, though, I might even just pop in some ST:TNG BluRay action!

I'm only on 4k/60hz tonight as I'm waiting on a new cable tomorrow..
The pleasure train continues once I get "ProMotion" tomorrow!!
ST:TNG would be great on an LG C3. If we're talking space movies my pick is Danny Boyle's Sunshine (2007)—mesmerizing shots of the sun from what I recall. That has to look amazing on that. I don't know if that beats Interstellar though. Or any recent Christopher Nolan film.

Large TV as a monitor is not crazy at all; its probably better for the eyes since you have the space for proper viewing distance.

Ok so how are you hooking it up to get 4K @ 120Hz? Easy with HDMI 2.1 but only recent 2023 MacBook Pros, Mac Studio and Mac minis have it, while Airs of course don't. I don't think Apple allows Display Stream Compression (DSC) through Thunderbolt unless its with a special Cable Matters adapter and some light hacking.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Enrico

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Milano / Roma
For general use I think the current screen is fine.

However, I use my current iPad Pro for image editing in Photoshop/Lightroom/Photos when I travel. Once I'm home and I look at the edited photos on my MBP, the screen clearly made a difference as the results are often over or under saturated. This is true whether inspecting my work directly on the MBP screen or on a separate monitor. I am simply not able to accurately judge using the iPad's current screen.

For this reason I think the screen is an iPad weakness and should be upgraded. Whether it needs to be an OLED or Micro-LED, I don't know, but for general use I have no complaints.

Photo editing needs a color calibrated monitor, namely an Eizo or similar, with antireflective coating, 100% color space cover and complete uniformity across the panel. Not to mention the controlled ambient lighting for which a display shade often is a good choice.
Not sure how an iPad or a MBP will ever be able to replace it.

Reactions: sunny5 and 6749974

dhershberger

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2018
Ohio
Photo editing needs a color calibrated monitor, namely an Eizo or similar, with antireflective coating, 100% color space cover and complete uniformity across the panel. Not to mention the controlled ambient lighting for which a display shade often is a good choice.
Not sure how an iPad or a MBP will ever be able to replace it.
If you're a professional photographer or serious hobbyist, sure. I am neither of those things but enjoy travel photography using some Sony Alpha gear; my requirements are much less than you suggest.

For me, I want photos edited on my iPad to look the way I intended when viewing on other devices - which they currently don't. My definition of "look the way I intended" is clearly not in the rarefied air of your suggestion. I am under the impression that an OLED iPad would satisfy my requirements, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I’ve edited photos on an iPhone so I’m fairly sure you don’t need a color calibrated über monitor. Just saying 😳

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Whilst OLED would be a welcome option I'd be more interested in seeing them add higher resolution FaceID for gesture navigation, Eye tracking and a lenticular option so it acts like a 3DS. Adding depth to an OS would be really cool.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Tonight, I watched the original scene in episode 6 of the Severance series on my M1 iPad Pro - it does not look like that posted footage. At all. I'm done here - this is a waste of time and I'll ignore this thread. Believe what you want, you're in your own world of denial. Goodbye.
Maybe consider that there are large variations in human visual perception, in particular in how motion and color/brightness differences are perceived. An effect that is imperceptible to one person can be highly distracting to another person.

• Love

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
My definition of "look the way I intended" is clearly not in the rarefied air of your suggestion.
From my experience it’s actually exactly that, for professional photographers. They just need the color to look as intended when viewed on other devices, the same as you.

Given how relatively affordable calibration devices are (e.g. the X-Rite i1Display Pro), and that one can often rent them for a small fee, many hobbyists also them to calibrate their desktop monitors.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Maybe consider that there are large variations in human visual perception, in particular in how motion and color/brightness differences are perceived. An effect that is imperceptible to one person can be highly distracting to another person.

I said the very same thing in another post. I was talking here about the posted video link that shows a clip that looks absolutely nothing like the same scene from the original on my M1 12.9.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I said the very same thing in another post. I was talking here about the posted video link that shows a clip that looks absolutely nothing like the same scene from the original on my M1 12.9.
You don’t know how that scene appears to another person. That video may very well match their perception. I.e. you see a major difference between that video and your iPad, while to them that video and their iPad may look very similar, because the two of you perceive both the video and the iPad differently, not to mention possibly using different displays to watch the video.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You don’t know how that scene appears to another person. That video may very well match their perception. I.e. you see a major difference between that video and your iPad, while to them that video and their iPad may look very similar, because the two of you perceive both the video and the iPad differently, not to mention possibly using different displays to watch the video.

No, that is not the point here. Watch that video clip and then watch the original source on the same device - they look completely different.

• Haha

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
No, that is not the point here. Watch that video clip and then watch the original source on the same device - they look completely different.

I don't get the blooming. Even an LCD has blooming in certain circumstances. It never bothered me. Just like the jelly never bothered me on the Mini 6.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I don't get the blooming. Even an LCD has blooming in certain circumstances. It never bothered me. Just like the jelly never bothered me on the Mini 6.

I can see them on my M1 12.9 & Mini 6 and they don't bother me, either. But some people clearly have greater sensitivities to them.

Reactions: Rafterman

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
One day I'm seeing awful jelly scroll effects on the iPad mini 6. I see what all the fuss is about. It looks bad.

Months later I'm at a different store—I go up to completely different device (but same iPad mini 6) and can't reproduce the jelly effect! It looks fine. The model next to it also didn't have it.

It seems there are many variables to this (the device's display and artificial lighting) and how our brains/eyesight works. I'm no electrician but I believe theres power phasing and light-types that can cause "frame rate" effects, and so maybe that also contributes to why some people can and can't detect it. Plus our optic nerves have a frame rate so to speak, and theres a signal processing factor because our brain is taking in multiple signals at once and has to decide what it's seeing by using algorithms (we don't all see the same colors, for instance, partly due to algorithmic differences in visual cortex).

The majority of things we see similarly enough, but the items that we can categorize as fringe or abnormal or artifacts, the signal processing in our brain processes them very differently. Especially at night. And especially as our optical lens shape changes. At night, a 59 year old grandfather is going to process headlights and street lights very differently from his 17 year old granddaughter, and how those two process motion will also differ.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.