Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SenileTomato

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
This message comes up on my Macbook Pro Retina 15" running Mojave 10.14.5. It states that it needs additional disk space, which I find odd because I am attempting to copy files from one external HDD to another. There is more than enough disk space, over a terabyte actually. But somehow, my Mac thinks I need disk space on the internal SSD to do the transfer.

I have just completed a very large transfer before this of roughly 2TB within the same two drives.

What's going on? How can I transfer my files?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 8.06.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 8.06.18 PM.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,173

SenileTomato

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Have you actually followed the suggestion and looked at the Storage section?
I only ask because you made no mention of checking.:)

Sorry, I thought it was clear I had when I said I have over a terabyte of disk space. I was not haha. storage AVAIALBLE is much more than the file transfer size. It is odd because it assumes I am transferring to my internal SSD be by the amount of space it says I need.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i have gotten the same message only when my Time Machine back (appeared) to fail then this message comes on as well.
but rebooting solved it both times, including Time Machine itself backing up without problem.

Jmgerard

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2019
This message comes up on my Macbook Pro Retina 15" running Mojave 10.14.5. It states that it needs additional disk space, which I find odd because I am attempting to copy files from one external HDD to another. There is more than enough disk space, over a terabyte actually. But somehow, my Mac thinks I need disk space on the internal SSD to do the transfer.

I have just completed a very large transfer before this of roughly 2TB within the same two drives.

I have exact same problem with my new Mac running Monterey. I am able to copy the same amount of files some of the time. then other times I get the error. I already reported this to Apple. I hope they fix the issue. I have two NVMe 2TB External SSDs. Even if Mac needs to store some temp files on the internal drive it should be smart enough to manage Temp space. I have a 1TB internal drive.

zcarm2013

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
I have exact same problem with my new Mac running Monterey. I am able to copy the same amount of files some of the time. then other times I get the error. I already reported this to Apple. I hope they fix the issue. I have two NVMe 2TB External SSDs. Even if Mac needs to store some temp files on the internal drive it should be smart enough to manage Temp space. I have a 1TB internal drive.
All you need to do is to turn off iCloud - Worked for me like a charm

Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your Mac's screen. Select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.

How to disable Optimized Storage on your Mac
  1. Click on Apple ID.
  2. Click on iCloud.
  3. Click to uncheck the checkbox at the bottom of the window for Optimize Mac Storage

Last edited:

zcarm2013

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013

Had the same issue like you - All you need to do is to turn-off iCloud. Worked for me perfectly afterwards.

All you need to do is to turn off iCloud - Worked for me like a charm

Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your Mac's screen. Select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.

How to disable Optimized Storage on your Mac
  1. Click on Apple ID.
  2. Click on iCloud.
  3. Click to uncheck the checkbox at the bottom of the window for Optimize Mac Storage

Last edited:

zcarm2013

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.