Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Anyone else run into an issue where the iPad has enough space available but the updater says it doesn't? Storage shows 22 GB free on my iPad mini but software update says it needs 11.6 GB and won't proceed.

mirv

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
I wonder if their space estimate doesn't count the space needed to store and unzip the installation files? In any case if you are limited on storage you could delete some apps and then get them back from the app store once the new system is installed.

fdolbec123

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Québec, Qc, Canada
On my end, because I have the 32go version of the iPad 7th gen, I can't even update to that beta with a factory reset iPad (with Music app removed...) Any idea if the update could be download by the mac then push to the iPad so the update file doesn't take the needed space for the update?

mirv

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
I'm not sure how much space it will save but you could definitely try it. Download the correct restore image and use Finder on the Mac to load it. Do option-click on the Check For Update button to make it load the correct image.

https://developer.apple.com/download/

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I got the "not enough space" error when the download of "17.whatever it is now" would not install. So I'm wondering about deleting some things.

APPS
If I delete Apple apps, do they get reinstalled by the update? I didn't download any of them individually, so they must be installed when the OS is updated, except for those that came with it. If that's the case, does it really help to delete these?

PHOTOS
If I have photos appearing in Photos that were taken on an iPhone and are on the cloud, are those taking up any space on the iPad? I suspect not, but want to be sure. Where do I look in Photos on the iPad for any that are taking up space? Mind you, I have not used the iPad's camera to take photos.

OH WELL
Buried in a pre-existing thread that no one is looking at… That's what I get for following the rules.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.