Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
GWXEVP2.png

I'm British but now live in the USA. My iCloud account is set to American, my credit card and address is american, they have my American cell number on file, and my US cell number is associated with iMessage/iCloud.

But for some unknown reason, whenever I get group messages through on my iPhone or MacOS on Macbook Pro, instead of showing the names of the people involved, everyone's AMERICAN phone numbers show up but with the UK +44 international country code.....!!

Anyone know why this might be happening? I tried checking all the aforementioned details (my address, international settings, phone number etc) with Apple Help but they had no idea what might be going on.....??

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
I wonder if, as a test, you moved a few of those contacts to a different syncing service (such as Google) what the result would be.
The thing is, in a lot of these groups, I don't actually have the contacts saved, and in instances where I do have contacts saved, it seemingly only takes one unknown contact in the group to trigger this +44 wave.

Or could it be something with the carrier settings?

Hmm I guess it could be, but when I moved to the US and got a US carrier SIM/phone number, I would've guessed it'd update/overwrite all of my previous carrier settings, no?

As an aside, I do seem to have 'roaming' turned on in my carrier settings... Guess I can turn that off unless I travel internationally, but I doubt that would have anything to do with this....?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
As an aside, I do seem to have 'roaming' turned on in my carrier settings... Guess I can turn that off unless I travel internationally, but I doubt that would have anything to do with this....?
Well, there's one way to find out ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.