Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxGoos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
Hello!

My iMac 27" mid 2010 fell from the office table on the floor! Glass was broken and LCD screen too! Rear housing get bulk on the to uper corners! But I could use it and everything else was functional!

I wasn't in doubt any minut about repair (gift from my wife) and went to local Apple store but then I've got the message "Your iMac is vintage product".

Little investigations on ebay and replacement LCD screen from LG and glass for iMac was bought.

Armed with the good will and some screwdrivers I began the adventure!

Firstly gently straightened rear housing with imperfections.
Secondly I had to move all adhesive tapes from old LCD screen to new one except aluminium tape which i didnot had so I am not sure if I am going to get some issues beacuse of lack of aluminium tape on the edges of the LCD screen and loose old adhesive tapes.

Further i had to disassemble frame from the broken LCD panel and this was difficult beacuse the frame is glued on the LCD panel and I banded frame :-(.
Nevertheless to reassemble banded frame with lot off glue on it to the new LCD screen was even more difficult beacuse all magnets had to be aligned with the LCD panel and rear housing of iMac.

After all I have done the jobb and iMac with the new LCD screen and glass is working!!!

I couldn't find the adhesive tapes set for the iMac mid 2010 but aluminium tape is to find.

My question is: Do I have to get some issues without aluminium tape and others loose adhesive tapes from old LCD screen on the new one?
Is it safe to use the iMac without sluminium tape and others loose adhesive tapes?

Beacuse of the imperfections in rear housing case of the iMac the glass is on one place 2-3mm away from the rear housing.

Attachments

• IMG_5808.JPG
    IMG_5808.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5814.JPG
    IMG_5814.JPG
    910.2 KB · Views: 111
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.