Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graham2010

Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
Australia
I've not been happy with the pretentious sounding .ME in place of .MAC.
When it was first announced there was quite a bit of opposition to it, much of from those who loved the Mac brand and were pleased and even proud to have an email address ending in @mac.com

Logging on tonight gave me a message that .mac will no longer redirect to mobileme after 21st Jan.

Not happy!!
Tell me what trendy marketing idiot came up with Mobile ME.

me me me me, it seems most marketing is about that these days.

end of rant.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-26 at 7.56.34 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-26 at 7.56.34 AM.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 104

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

end of rant.

Let me get this straight -- in this post, you are complaining that Marketing is, in this change, pandering to whiney, self-aggrandizing individuals, who place far too much importance on the minute day-to-day woes of their lives?

Really?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Let me get this straight -- in this post, you are complaining that Marketing is, in this change, pandering to whiney, self-aggrandizing individuals, who place far too much importance on the minute day-to-day woes of their lives?

Really?

And that is /thread folks.

But seriously, my .mac mail is still being received and the e-mail headers show people are e-mailing my .mac address. Looking at the pretentious iCal, it is January 26th.

GARFIELDfanatic

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
Baltimore
Can I ask a simple yet important question about being self-consumed?

I would just like to know something for my personal knowledge. How many people here bitch about the "@mac" to "@me" name change yet they use other services that are totally based around the entire "about me" concept.

How many here use the following self-centered/self-promoting services like:
1. twitter
2. facebook
3. myspace
4. loopt
5. linkedIn
6. etc.

It seems to me that way too many people are overly concerned about such a minor thing like what the ending of their email address is vs. the extensive use of services like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and Loopt. They are the biggest self-promoters around, I feel a little odd saying my email address of XXXXX@me.com but I can feel good about myself knowing that I don't get caught up in the whole Twitter & Facebook crap. I know and hear of way too damn many people who spend the majority of their entire day logged onto these services and tweet and post about the most mundane and totally unimportant things that are going on in their lives like someone actually cares what you are doing each moment of your day.

Not even if you were the president would your day be that interesting to post about, much less if you are a college student who partied the night before and should be getting caught up now but instead are consumed about posting and responding about yet another party tonight, etc. etc. etc. I have fired over 10 people that would rather spend their [oops, my time that they are being paid for@] to sit and socialize on these site to talk about their parties, what they are eating tonight and what bar to hookup at later on. How many people get fired over having a slightly undesirable email address vs. abusing a service like twitter or facebook??? I know of more and more companies that will terminate employees for being time-wasters on these sites, and abusing their employers time. Think about that one for a while...

If you log-on to any of these sites at any given time, there are thousands and thousands of self-consumed folks that waste away their days being underproductive to say the least, and become more & more self-consumed. Yet they want to whine about the newly branded "@me" name of a paid email & web service package, that should not be that big of a deal to shorten their lifespan over!!!

Can we put this one to bed someday?, and focus on trying to make the world a better place...

In my humble opinion.....I believe that it is better to be known for my @me email address rather than being plastered all over the internet talking about my little life on twitter and facebook trying to self-promote my daily rituals that are dull and boring to say the least.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
<snip long post>

Why does it bother you so much that others find enjoyment in something that doesn't interest you?

I don't Twitter and while I have a FB account, I rarely log in to it. But if that is how others want to spend their lives and it brings them some tiny bit of pleasure to an otherwise mundane existence, who am I to complain about it? I never notice. I am not forced to follow them on Twitter. I am not made to log into FB and see them playing Farmville and Mafia Wars. They don't track me down and make me accept a heart or a teddy bear. All of that goes on without troubling me one bit.

You could probably swap out your pet peeve for someone else's and say the same thing. Why do people like NASCAR? Redneck hicks!! Why do people scrapbook? What a waste of time, they should be contributing to society!!

I have a Mobile Me account
I use my original @mac. com for some things
I use an alias that is @me.com for some other things

I never give it a thought either way

Life is too short to always worry about what other people are doing

GARFIELDfanatic

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
Baltimore
it appears that I am not the only one that watches others activities!!!!!!!!!!

An @mac user and now @me user for over 6 years, does not matter that much. Just because you have an email address ending in @mac does not make you anymore important than anyone else, get over the .mac concept because Apple already has!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It appears that you have similar activities........worried a little too much about what I am posting??? I could not give a crap less about what others do as long as they do not interfere with my life, keep out of mine and I will keep out of yours. If you actually read the original post, it questioned the issues regarding the whole ".mac vs .me" name change stuff. I simply posted my opinion which I am entitled to have, and wanted to ask the question of "why worry about an email address vs. being consumed with self-promoting" websites. :confused::confused::confused:

Personally, I wanted to know and try to understand why seemingly everyone would bitch so much about an email address but will spend hour upon hour promoting relatively useless thoughts and rants on Twitter & Facebook. I believe that my question is a good one, why are you so offended by it??? Why are you overly consumed with my posts??? :D:D:D I don't get your hostility, why the hate about my post?, I was being honest about the whole selfish Twitter & Facebook crap. I have yet to find someone with substance that use these things regularly. Wouldn't a website/blog be enough?, or do you need the constant validation of being acknowledged throughout the day???

EVERYONE has their own personal beliefs, thoughts and opinions about any & everything in life and I was just stating mine. My post simply stated that the difference between being obsessed about an email address vs. promoting one's self are very similar, that is fact. Answer this question: when you call someone, do you ever say "hey its Me?", I am sure that you have done that sometime. This is not that much different than .me, it still shows that you are important enough to just say its me instead of saying your full name. Honestly, I am not 100% behind the new name change, but it is what it is. How ridiculous sounding are the names of others like: Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc. I would rather have something simple and easy to remember for those that are not gifted at taking down email addresses correctly, @me.com should not confuse as many people which should be a good thing. I would rather have a unique email address like @me than to have something stupid like "selfpromotingsocialnetworkuser27649@yahoo" or "drunkcollegestudent@gmail" My email address is very nice, my own name @me which sounds a hell of a lot better than the preceding example. It also looks good when using in print on letters, forms, etc. It is easier for the reader to understand when composing an email message to me vs. trying to enter and not transpose numbers and goofy characters and other symbols that so many people use in their email user names. I want something that is nice and professional, so that anyone can email me at any time and not look stupid.

I have received so many dumbass email addresses from others over the past years that I just cannot believe how unintelligent they must be, I have been getting ones like these: "boysarestupid", "drunkchicksrock", "partytilyoupuke", etc. How could you give an email address like that to someone for a business purpose?, or to your grandmother?, or how about to a potential employer?????????

I recently had an advertisement for job candidates, I had the one above "BoysAreStupid@". I just do not get it, why would someone be so unprofessional with their communications? Everything that you do, each and every day is in some way "marketing yourself". You may not set out to do so, but just running to the grocery store could lead to an offer for something.....a better job, a date, a friendship, bumping into an old flame, whatever.

I have been approached by 3 employers in the past simply by my work ethic that they watched and liked, therefore, offered me the positions. When they happen to ask for my email so that they could send me additional information about their job opening, I respond with "myownname@me" which states that the email address is about me and I am the one that they would want for their position. I am rather grateful that my name was available for an email address, so that I do not have to use some stupid and idiotic sounding email for instances like these. How professional does "drunkchicksrock@gmail" sound for a potential employer?, or to give to your grandmother so that she can email you photos of grandpa's birthday?

Lets get over the @me nightmare already, it is not that important overall. Why not spend that time doing something that is more useful, perhaps volunteering somewhere.......instead of obsessing over MY posts and MY opinions!!!!!!!!!! Take a chill-pill already for god's sake, lets all hold hands and sing.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::
Why does it bother you so much that others find enjoyment in something that doesn't interest you?

I don't Twitter and while I have a FB account, I rarely log in to it. But if that is how others want to spend their lives and it brings them some tiny bit of pleasure to an otherwise mundane existence, who am I to complain about it? I never notice. I am not forced to follow them on Twitter. I am not made to log into FB and see them playing Farmville and Mafia Wars. They don't track me down and make me accept a heart or a teddy bear. All of that goes on without troubling me one bit.

You could probably swap out your pet peeve for someone else's and say the same thing. Why do people like NASCAR? Redneck hicks!! Why do people scrapbook? What a waste of time, they should be contributing to society!!

I have a Mobile Me account
I use my original @mac. com for some things
I use an alias that is @me.com for some other things

I never give it a thought either way

Life is too short to always worry about what other people are doing

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
"Lets get over the @me nightmare already, it is not that important overall. Why not spend that time doing something that is more useful, perhaps volunteering somewhere.......instead of obsessing over MY posts and MY opinions!!!!!!!!!! Take a chill-pill already for god's sake, lets all hold hands and sing."

I do believe after 3 weeks of no posts I don't think anybody is obsessing over your posts.;)

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
I've not been happy with the pretentious sounding .ME in place of .MAC.
When it was first announced there was quite a bit of opposition to it, much of from those who loved the Mac brand and were pleased and even proud to have an email address ending in @mac.com

Logging on tonight gave me a message that .mac will no longer redirect to mobileme after 21st Jan.

Not happy!!
Tell me what trendy marketing idiot came up with Mobile ME.

end of rant.

I hear ya man. Although I never had the service under either name, I'd never get the service with me.com but would have considered having mac.com

me.com sounds like a total joke apple can be pretty retarded sometimes....

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
yeah, I agree with the OP. I'm considering dropping gmail in favor of mobileme, but having to tell everyone my address is @me.com does sound a bit, um, self-centered.

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Yeah, I don't quite get it.

If you don't like it, just don't buy MobileMe. Seems pretty simple. I'm willing to bet that MobileMe isn't a huge part of Apple's business so the chances of them changing something back is pretty slim. In my mind, the email is such a small part of the service anyway. Using something like SpanningSync you can just use Gmail for mail and MM for everything else.

ooninay

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Toronto
I agree with OP. @me.com sounds like pure marketing "packaging" and talk about pretentious! Although personally I wasn't fond of @mac.com either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.