Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
Sadly, I believe iOS 10 is ugly as hell.

Lets start off with the biggest. The lock screen. I like the swiper left for the widgets, but swiping right brings up an un integrated camera with no option to leave. How many photos are going to be randomly taken.

Messages. Love the features, but really the design? They essentially decreased the size of the message box on initial contact which is horrible for people with big thumbs. The randoms need to default collapsed.

WTF happened to the notifications. Big ugly and in the way. Way against the minimalist view i previewed. Reminds of iOS 4 to the extreme. Big blotchy etc, love to see how this in app.

Reactions: Phillyfinest89

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

Lets start off with the biggest. The lock screen. I like the swiper left for the widgets, but swiping right brings up an un integrated camera with no option to leave. How many photos are going to be randomly taken.
Tried pressing the home button to get back to the lock screen? So, without trying to press the home button, you've determined that there is "no option to leave"? False assumptions can give one a less-than-acceptable outlook on many things.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
Tried pressing the home button to get back to the lock screen? So, without trying to press the home button, you've determined that there is "no option to leave"? False assumptions can give one a less-than-acceptable outlook on many things.

I know about the home button. My point is that it shouldn't be so easy to access the camera

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I don't like the Apple Music app. The font is big as hell on my 6S. Jeez.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US

Messages. Love the features, but really the design? They essentially decreased the size of the message box on initial contact which is horrible for people with big thumbs. The randoms need to default collapsed.

WTF happened to the notifications. Big ugly and in the way. Way against the minimalist view i previewed. Reminds of iOS 4 to the extreme. Big blotchy etc, love to see how this in app.

I'll agree with your 2nd and third point. The messages notifications, or really any notification looks cool, but takes up a bunch of space. Also agreed about messages. I've already accidentally hit the stupid App Store button lol

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's no different than swiping up from the bottom to access the camera in iO 9.3.2. Swiping is swiping.
Not necessarily. It can potentially be said that swing horizontally can be more likely to occur than swiping vertically. It can also potentially be said that it takes more of a swipe up to activate the camera now vs. a shorter swipe right to activate it in iOS 10. It can also be that we are more trained and think less of horizontal swipes in general on the home screen and are more likely to use those with less thought than vertical ones that perhaps require an extra moment of deliberate action on our parts.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Not necessarily. It can potentially be said that swing horizontally can be more likely to occur than swiping vertically. It can also potentially be said that it takes more of a swipe up to activate the camera now vs. a shorter swipe right to activate it in iOS 10. It can also be that we are more trained and think less of horizontal swipes in general on the home screen and are more likely to use those with less thought than vertical ones that perhaps require an extra moment of deliberate action on our parts.
This sounds to me like nothing more than personal opinion. I can accept that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This sounds to me like nothing more than personal opinion. I can accept that.
Some of that there, to one degree or another, but some likely beyond that (like how much of a vertical swipe it takes to activate the camera in iOS 9 vs. how much of a horizontal swipe it takes to activate the camera in iOS 10).

Reactions: shenfrey

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I do like that the weather widget shows the temperature now... And not the days high.

Reactions: !!!

OrionsByte

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2015
Not having used iOS 10 at all, I've gotta say that as a person with small children I'm all for faster access to the camera. However, I dislike it when there is a lack of consistency, i.e., in this situation you can access the camera with this kind of swipe, but in that situation you use this other swipe plus a tap. It's kind of frustrating.

That said, I suppose you can still access Control Center from the lock screen, and I suppose it will still have the camera button on it, so I'm probably just being difficult. And oh, did I mention that this is day one of beta 1 and I haven't even laid a finger on it? Yeah I'll go away now.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I actually love the look of the notifications, and I suspect most people will as well. I love the new text style, so mach easier to read. Some people just go into shock with any UI changes.
[doublepost=1465854857][/doublepost]
Not having used iOS 10 at all, I've gotta say that as a person with small children I'm all for faster access to the camera. However, I dislike it when there is a lack of consistency, i.e., in this situation you can access the camera with this kind of swipe, but in that situation you use this other swipe plus a tap. It's kind of frustrating.

That said, I suppose you can still access Control Center from the lock screen, and I suppose it will still have the camera button on it, so I'm probably just being difficult. And oh, did I mention that this is day one of beta 1 and I haven't even laid a finger on it? Yeah I'll go away now.
I use control center exclusively to pull up camera. Not sure why they added another method.

Reactions: C DM and Rogifan

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
iOS 10 looks terrible. The Lockscreen, Proactive page, Control Center, News, Apple Music, Home, all look like they were changed just for the heck of it. Why couldn't they keep the design and give us features we actually want? - Customizable Control Center, Dark Mode, etc.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 10 looks terrible. The Lockscreen, Proactive page, Control Center, News, Apple Music, Home, all look like they were changed just for the heck of it. Why couldn't they keep the design a just tweak it. I really hope it goes back to iOS 9 style.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

Reactions: OrionsByte

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you like it?
Haven't really played around with it, but with what I've seen I'm not "not happy" (as the thread goes), although I do think that various things can be polished some more to one degree or another (and given that this is just the first beta of a brand new version of iOS, it seems like there's a decent likelihood some of that polishing will happen).

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Umm. Still downloading. Maybe I need to change a place to download this stuff.

Speaking of design, this is naturally a subjective topic all the time. Everyone has their own taste. I have read some posts about new iOS design, and frankly, they are not looking that ugly after all. I would also prefer this iOS 10 is iOS 9.5 plus a bunch of new features, including those under the hood. Users would only instantaneously notice features they can see, not those hiding in the background, yeah?

Let me first try it out then update this post afterwards. Hope I can still "update" back to iOS 9 if I don't want to use iOS 10 beta 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.