Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Haven't had much of a chance to tinker with things. All this work around probably telling me to just drop it and use the computer as the manufacturer intended, so seriously doubt the new wifi adapter I just ordered will work. Also tossed a USB wired ethernet adapter in for good measure thinking the included adapter might be defective and new adapter probably won't work since it's not for AMD CPUs (which doesn't make sense, I mean did Intel proactively internally block AMD with the adapters firmware?) ? ?

Anyway this is the last ditch effort to get Linux shoehorned onto the computer. I'm still guessing either a lemon or it's just needs its original windows drive.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
That's good news. What differences have you noticed between Win 11 and 10 (other than the obvious UI changes)?

I feel like the UI is finally more consistent. Since Windows 8 there has been such an unattractive split between Modern apps and Classic programs. Also it’s fast… it made my PC perform a lot better.

Also it has a lot more resemblance to macOS… does that mean that Microsoft is copying Apple? Yes. But it’s nice to use.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I feel like the UI is finally more consistent. Since Windows 8 there has been such an unattractive split between Modern apps and Classic programs. Also it’s fast… it made my PC perform a lot better.

Also it has a lot more resemblance to macOS… does that mean that Microsoft is copying Apple? Yes. But it’s nice to use.
Thanks for the insights. I recently spent some time rebuilding my WinXP virtual machine for VirtualBox. (the first one was created a long time ago when I had little experience with VMs) The thing that struck me was just how configurable XP was. From what I understand of Win 11, it is less customizable than 10... and 10 was already significantly restricted.

I'm not a fan of the flat and pale style that is all the rage these days, but maybe if 11 is visually more consistent, it might appeal to me more.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Thanks for the insights. I recently spent some time rebuilding my WinXP virtual machine for VirtualBox. (the first one was created a long time ago when I had little experience with VMs) The thing that struck me was just how configurable XP was. From what I understand of Win 11, it is less customizable than 10... and 10 was already significantly restricted.

I'm not a fan of the flat and pale style that is all the rage these days, but maybe if 11 is visually more consistent, it might appeal to me more.

I was kind of indifferent to the flat phase but it seems like it is gradually going away… Like with macOS Big Sur compared to the Yosemite – Catalina style, etc.

cubeover

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Are we back to “skeuomorphic” design?
Was it funny that some corporate honchos decide what the billions of people will see in their devices, leaving no resort to remain with achievements of past excellence, but be left with obsolete unsupported OSes?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Got the wired USB adapter (sigh there goes my USB port (probably should have done USB c but figured maybe slightly better compatibility with the type a port) :confused: anyway it seems to be working, got the live iso of Ubuntu running. I got to say the screen on this thing is very nice!

Question now is, do I install Linux? If so, what distro? Probably Debian based.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Got the wired USB adapter (sigh there goes my USB port (probably should have done USB c but figured maybe slightly better compatibility with the type a port) :confused: anyway it seems to be working, got the live iso of Ubuntu running. I got to say the screen on this thing is very nice!

Question now is, do I install Linux? If so, what distro? Probably Debian based.
I'm curious. Why didn't you buy a replacement wifi module? My Yoga 6 has the AX200NGW module. If I needed to replace it, it cost $20 on Amazon.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I did but I think I got the wrong one and I figured I might need drivers anyway. And if I needed to the drivers, well, hard to get with no connection. Anyway I have the WiFi 6 ax200ngw in the box also. It was another "only supported by Intel CPU" modules which don't make sense.

Not sure when I'll get around to the actual install. I'm figuring on the Linux route Ubuntu might have the most support meaning software packages and libraries since it's a rather popular disro.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
I'm figuring on the Linux route Ubuntu might have the most support meaning software packages and libraries since it's a rather popular disro.
Yes. Ubuntu definitely has lots of software. Part of this is popularity. But there is also a factor that Ubuntu isn't as purist as some, so they will include stuff that others won't consider due to the way the software is licensed. And the large user base also means better support for solving problems--and probably there is more tolerance for "the average computer user."

It's worth noting: a lot of distros are closely related to Ubuntu. Some are sibling systems from the same people. Other distros are from a third party that bases the distro on Ubuntu (e.g., Linux Mint). These related distros will likely have many of the advantages of Ubuntu.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Finally getting around to trying the new wifi 6 network adapter in the laptop I'm almost ready to just give up on. Module is a fenvi ax200, Intel and windows compatible only.

Had real problems getting the antenna leads reconnected. I'm guessing this is not going to work. My computer skills have just degraded over the years. :(

Update: oh it worked?! ? ? Well, at least the latest live iso Ubuntu found it. Now, which distro and will it actually work with WiFi once installed? That's the question. Also thought perhaps putting windows 10 in a VM on this thing as a plan b if needed.

I'm aware I'd take a performance hit if it do the VM route with this. Dual boot would be a possibility as well but from what I understand windows likes to take over the drive and will often bork any other os installed on it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.