Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Got one of these for Christmas, it’s my own fault really, I have used AW in the past I guess that was before I got into serious running and fitness.

It’s just not cutting the mustard for me, I’ve tried apps to bridge the gap such as Athlytic or Training today but they’re simply not as good as Garmins offerings, they’re actually pretty crap tbh

But the saving grace is accuracy of AW. It’s beyond anything I’ve ever used in the past, GPS compared to Garmin is amazing, it literally sticks to what side of the road your on, heart rate sensor is as good as my chest strap so i don’t need it.

What I really need is the AW accuracy with Garmin stats and data.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Got one of these for Christmas, it’s my own fault really, I have used AW in the past I guess that was before I got into serious running and fitness.

It’s just not cutting the mustard for me, I’ve tried apps to bridge the gap such as Athlytic or Training today but they’re simply not as good as Garmins offerings, they’re actually pretty crap tbh

But the saving grace is accuracy of AW. It’s beyond anything I’ve ever used in the past, GPS compared to Garmin is amazing, it literally sticks to what side of the road your on, heart rate sensor is as good as my chest strap so i don’t need it.

What I really need is the AW accuracy with Garmin stats and data.
The forerunner 255, 955, Fenix 7 or epix 2 have dual band GPS so that puts them on par with the AWU. Wearing a chest strap for accurate heart rate with a garmin is no real biggy so if I were you I'd go with one of them and you'll get everything you want or need 👍

Reactions: dj1891

BlackBun

Suspended
Oct 20, 2020
Wokingham U.K.
Expectations. For me, I run 10k every other day for general fitness (strength training on alternative days) …I’m only interested in pace and recovery times and VO2max everything else is by the by. AW is just fine.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
You should try the app WorkOutDoors. It is much better than what you have mentioned.
I have it, that’s for the actual workout. It’s the recovery and health side of things that’s missing with the AW. Sure all the metrics are there in health with no easy was to interpret them

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Expectations. For me, I run 10k every other day for general fitness (strength training on alternative days) …I’m only interested in pace and recovery times and VO2max everything else is by the by. AW is just fine.
Where u getting recovery times?

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I have it, that’s for the actual workout. It’s the recovery and health side of things that’s missing with the AW. Sure all the metrics are there in health with no easy was to interpret them
What deficiency did you find in Athlytic? HealthFit is also great.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I have the garmin fenix 5 and the Ultra. The extra stats (recovery time etc) on the Garmin are great but what’s the point of them when the core metrics of heart rate etc are not accurate on the Garmin without a chest strap? It’s window dressing on bad data. The Ultra is more accurate on almost every level without extra accessories. Not to mention the awful Garmin software. I have to re-pair my Garmin EVERY time I use it. Who needs that?

Reactions: alongdingdong
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.