Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.J. Hamler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hello...

I'm setting up a new iPhone SE for my grandson. (I have an iPhone 12 Pro.)

Setup has gone fine and literally everything works -- mail, iMessages, Find My, everything. However, the "Ask to Purchase" for the App Store on his phone is not working.

I've tried to get a couple different apps on his phone and it goes as it should -- it asks for his password, accepts it, then the pop up to "Ask to purchase" comes up. I've clicked on this and it accepts it, and the Ask to Purchase message is marked not only as "Sent," but "Delivered."

But I simply am not getting them. I've been Googling the issue for the last several hours. I have done everything that has been suggested -- checking that the toggle for Ask to purchase is on, the contacts for messages and email are all correct, notifications are allowed on my phone for App Store, all the family settings match, etc.

Any thoughts on how I can correct this?

Thanks!

A.J.

Edited to add -- I have tested the phone and called it, plus used it to call mine.
Calls work fine. I've also sent him text messages to his phone, and used his phone to send a few to my phone. Works fine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.