Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
First of all, I have the Automatic Updates turned off because I’m afraid that some of these updates might break things or cause some instability.

Even with the Automatic Updates turned off I always still had received the updates notification by seeing the red alert notification badge on the Settings app. Even when not signed in to my Apple ID account.

But for some reason I’m waiting for almost a week now and no update notification for the 16.6.1 update.

My WiFi connection seems stable and working.

Again, I always have the Automatic Updates turned off and as I recall I always had the notifications. Ok, maybe not as consistent, but I got them within a week or so.

Is there a delay or something for the 16.6.1 update?

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Still nothing after reboot.

What else I should check?

I’m also thinking that maybe I should have to turn on Automatic Updates but I’m afraid these updates will cause issues. Because I still would prefer to see or check what updates are being rolled out before I install them.

Last edited:

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
But for some reason I’m waiting for almost a week now and no update notification for the 16.6.1 update.
Wait a little longer and see what happens?

Is it really a big deal if you don't get the notification? Apparently you know about the update, so not sure why you need the notification?

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Fine, I’ll update it manually then.

But should I leave automatic updates to enabled or disabled?

I would prefer it disabled since I don’t trust these updates most of the time and heard that Apple had to pull back an update before this one because it was causing issues.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
Have you checked Settings to see if "Download iOS/iPad Updates" is turned ON while "Install iOS/iPadOS Updates" is turned OFF?

I believe DOWNLOAD must be turned on in order for your iPhone/iPad to query Apple servers for new updates, otherwise it may not even check. I don't install new updates immediately but it's still nice to know what's available.

1694758722555.png

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Just got the notification icon this morning. Have not even adjusted the updates settings as mentioned above.

I guess these updates have like a grace period for about 7 days or so for people like me who are afraid to update their phone right away.

ahodes

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Just got the notification icon this morning. Have not even adjusted the updates settings as mentioned above.

I guess these updates have like a grace period for about 7 days or so for people like me who are afraid to update their phone right away.
Any chance you have a work or school configuration profile installed? Some organizations will set a software update deferral policy that causes all iOS updates to be delayed by a certain number of days to allow them to test first. Exactly a week sounds like a setting that a company may have chosen.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Have you checked Settings to see if "Download iOS/iPad Updates" is turned ON while "Install iOS/iPadOS Updates" is turned OFF?

I believe DOWNLOAD must be turned on in order for your iPhone/iPad to query Apple servers for new updates, otherwise it may not even check. I don't install new updates immediately but it's still nice to know what's available.

View attachment 2262318
Sadly, iOS devices check for updates regardless of settings. I’m running iOS 12 on my iPhone Xʀ and it still notifies me that “iOS 16 is now available” after every point update.

My iPad Air 5 runs iPadOS 15 and when I open settings a badge appears which says “iPadOS 16.6.1 is now available”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.