Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemagnus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I noticed that my mac suddenly was running short on space, and I hadn't been installing any large files lately. When i tried deleting 50+ GB of files from my SDD, my available space had gone from 62 GB to 58 GB. I tried checking DaisyDisk to see what was taking up all the space and, as you can see in the image below, a large chunk of my SDD was dedicated to hidden space.
Skjermbilde 2015-03-10 kl. 20.08.09.png

I then tried searching the web and found this tread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1310197/ The problem is the same, but repairing disk in Recovery Mode didn't fix the problem, it only regained about 10 GB of space.

If anyone knows how to fix this I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

applemagnus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
For anyone reading this tread in a later stage, I do believe I have fixed the problem. I tried scaning my SSD in DaisyDisk as administrator. This showed my that .MobileBackups was taking up 160+ GB of space. I then tried as suggested by GGJstudios:
For Time Machine users on notebooks running Lion or later, space may being consumed by Time Machine local snapshots, which can be disabled by entering the following command in Terminal: sudo tmutil disablelocal.

Entering the command:
Code:
sudo tmutil disablelocal
deletes .MobileBackups and freed up 180 GB of space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.