Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
We have an AirTag on our dog. It updated this morning early on.

I know that the person I left it with (family) have an iPhone, along with 2 others (family) they meet up with.

The AirTag hasn’t updated since early this morning, more than 5 hours. not how it’s supposed to work.

What can it be? This happens often, I know they’ve moved about from where it still says it is 5 hours ago, as I’ve rang the family.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Might be time to change the battery. The Find My app is supposed to show you the battery level, but it's possible it's dying nonetheless.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Might be time to change the battery. The Find My app is supposed to show you the battery level, but it's possible it's dying nonetheless.
It’s recently told me to change, few weeks ago, so I did and now doesn’t show the level, so presume it’s fine. Daft why didn’t show you the level now, imo.

AirTags are not waterproof. How active is your dog?
Doesn’t swim no, but again it’s updated now back home. As say I know that at least 3 iPhones, with good mobile signal, on different mobile networks, were right with the AirTag today.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It’s recently told me to change, few weeks ago, so I did and now doesn’t show the level, so presume it’s fine. Daft why didn’t show you the level now, imo.

Doesn’t swim no, but again it’s updated now back home. As say I know that at least 3 iPhones, with good mobile signal, on different mobile networks, were right with the AirTag today.
Is it possible these people opted out of the Find My network?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Is it possible these people opted out of the Find My network?

Didn’t know you could opt out as such. But it’s worked before when the AirTag been near.

One iPhone definitely as it’s a family member and we bought an AirTag for his dog to.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
How often is it supposed to update? eg today dog is with wife and she has iPhone, looked now and last posted was 29m ago.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
you cannot 'opt out' without manually disabling bt/wifi
You might be right. I thought there was when the whole thing first came out, but playing with my phone for a moment doesn't turn up any obvious setting....
You can opt out by opting out of the Find My network. The setting is not in the most obvious spot though.
Settings -> Apple ID -> Find My -> Find My iPhone -> toggle 'Find My network' off

It is explained here:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
If you have anyone that walks your dog on the regular, I'd share the airtag with them. Apple may have added some back-off algorithms to their anti-stalking policies when an airtag is "following" someone. Sharing the airtag with them means they won't get any of those notifications and it tells Apple that you've made them aware of the airtag.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
If you have anyone that walks your dog on the regular, I'd share the airtag with them. Apple may have added some back-off algorithms to their anti-stalking policies when an airtag is "following" someone. Sharing the airtag with them means they won't get any of those notifications and it tells Apple that you've made them aware of the airtag.

Yeh I will but they haven’t updated to iOS 17 yet. I just want to know why it’s not working though as well.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Yeh I will but they haven’t updated to iOS 17 yet. I just want to know why it’s not working though as well.

from what i can tell its not an instant update (nor is it intended to be real-time) nor update with a specific cadence (every x minutes)

that said, 5 hours is a long time if there are indeed find my enabled iphones with active data plans hanging around the dog.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Hello all! Any updates on this? I recently purchased a brand new AirTag and am having issues getting it to update its location as well, this is also used for my dog. It's attached to his collar. My scenario is this: Monday-Friday on my way to work I drop my dog off at a relatives house who is retired and they actually have his biological brother as their dog. They have iPhones as well. My dogs AirTag will last update when I drop him off and then it won't update his location all day long, it will say something like "last update 5,6,7, etc. hours ago until I am back and pick him up. I don't understand why it doesn't update during the day randomly? Any ideas, tips, etc?

Just thought I would try to revive this thread rather than start a brand new one, so I'll see how that goes first...

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.