Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Now, leaving aside who did what 1st and who is copying who. As that argument will go around and around with no winners.

I think we can all agree the "Notch" concept, which gives users more screen space than they otherwise would have is here to stay.

Now, let me just say that, I think it would be an excellent idea for Apple to just put in the option of either disabling, or hiding the notch to some extent to keep people who do not like this new design happy.
It won't hurt anyone to give the user the simple option, as if being given in some of the latest Android phones.

So, back to my thread title.

Do you think it's 100% guaranteed the width of the notch on future iphones will gradually get smaller and smaller over the forthcoming years? Not perhaps every single year, but certainly every 2 years or so, it will shrink?

I'm aware Apple has some extra sensors in this notch area, so, for "Notch Version 1" from Apple they probably had to play it safe, and allow plenty of black space for these sensors.

That said, it's generally safe to think that, these sensors will, be able to be made physically smaller, packed closer together, even combined together perhaps?

Which would then allow the notch width to reduce.

I will say (and extra sensor space aside) I do very much prefer the width of the notch of other phones.
Giving more space for information either side, and less of a compromise.

Anyone disagree with any of this?

Some visual examples for comparison.

One Plus 6
3a730ef2b40ab82b4d6b945df0172778.png

Huawei P20
5f81f44a54d8d853ce4cc59bff5c3e43.png

iPhone X
14fdd86615532f611d6888e83555cf89.png

Does anyone think I'm wrong in predicting this?

Or hopes Apple will keep the current width and not try and reduce it?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
The one universal constant with tech seems to be that today's tech will be smaller 'tomorrow'. So, yes I personally suspect the notch will narrow as time progresses.

It might even vanish completely if Apple manage to magically place the various sensors under the screen...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
As I said, I'm fully aware of the extra sensors.
However, and this is just a gut feeling, I'm guessing, Apple had to play it safe a bit for this 1st version of the notch.
Given it all being new and unknown and hard to make, they probably allowed "plenty of space - just in case" to avoid being caught out.

That's just a hunch/guess of course, but it would make sense to me, given how these things need to be finalized and locked in stone way way before a finished working design is produced.

If that is the case (and as I say just a guess) then that would very much allow them to make furute changes.

I do agree, that I have a feeling they won't change it this year in late 2018, but it will have it's 1st narrowing for the 2018 models.

If I'm right or not, time will of course tell :)

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
It needs to get narrow enough to include the battery percentage. Probably won't see a reduction until 2019.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.