Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
I have had a Note 5 since 2015. And it's been great. Now Samsung will be updating it to Android N. Soon. My question is can anyone help me justify a Galaxy or Note 8 product ?

When my Note 5 has every feature can do everything these new devices can.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
What size storage is your Note 5 and is it enough for you?
Happy with your camera quality?

If you're happy with your Note 5, I don't think you require a justification really. :)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I have had a Note 5 since 2015. And it's been great. Now Samsung will be updating it to Android N. Soon. My question is can anyone help me justify a Galaxy or Note 8 product ?

Sure, I'll justify the Note 8 since you're on a Note. The rumors are the S8 will come with 4gb of RAM, so it means that you can skip out on the S8 since your phone has the same RAM quantity. From what people say, Touchwiz Nougat is good, so you can swing by with the Note 5 until September or so.

The Note 8 is rumored to feature some cool stuff. 6gb to 8gb of RAM, which is about 150% or 200% of your original Note 5 RAM. 4k HDR screen with expanded VR capabilities means that you don't need to get two VR headsets to get the full experience. A dual camera could make its debut to compete with Huawei, LG, or Apple. You'll likely get a better processor than the Snapdragon 835/ S8 Exynos processor. Touchwiz will be even better in the Note 8. You'll have an S-Pen with even more features, meaning that you don't need to give that feature up from the phone.

The Note 8 will have the best LTE hardware, so you can get the 256 QAM and other features. A dual curved screen makes your phone an "Edged" screen device. USB Type C introduces a newer contemporary charging standard, which makes your battery life easier to manage. An Iris scanner improves your biometrics for security. Don't forget, the Note 5 isn't IP67 resistant, meaning it can get water damaged easily. An always on display is a good feature as well.

An SD slot isn't available on the Note 5, meaning that your storage management becomes crucial even if you don't even touch 32gb or 64gb. Say if you decide to add a ton of music, photos/videos of a family trip, etc? SD cards are an added and optional bonus. You're looking at a 64gb base model as well in all likelihood. The colors of the Note 8 will be better too. Device continuity is also good too because Samsung offers easy to port features for future successor devices like cloud backup or OTG dongles.

We can see Harman Kardon audio potentially since Samsung made a huge acquisition. Samsung will include a new AI called Bixby in the S8. There will be a desktop feature with some dock as well. Whatever is included in the S8 will likely be included in the Note 8. Hope that helps.

Reactions: M5RahuL

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Your Note 5 can't take a MicroSD like my S7 Edge can and no update will ever fix that lol

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
A little off topic, but why do these phones need so much RAM? I mean my laptop doesn't even have 8Gb, and my desktop only 16, and I can't do half the things I do on those on a phone (at the moment)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.