Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What note-taking apps are you using?

• Apple Notes

Votes: 41 75.9%
  • Evernote

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Obsidian

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Notion

• Heptabase

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bear

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • UpNote

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • iA Writer

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Hand writing: e.g. Goodnotes, Notability...

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Text files

• Others (please explain below)

Votes: 15 27.8%

• Total voters

ryubyss

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
a mix of Bear (mostly for saved articles), Obsidian (for worldbuilding), Bullet Journal (for day-to-day tasks and notes) and sometimes also notes on my reMarkable tablet. (via a Brave extension, I can also save things to the reMarkable.)

ryubyss

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
Between Apple Notes and UpNote, I don't need anything else. The fact that UpNote is cross-platform and is extremely Apple-like, even on Windows, is a massive plus. I bought the lifetime license and I couldn't be happier. UpNote also gets constant, quality updates. It's the best note taking app I've ever used.
I hadn't heard of UpNote before. seems a bit like Bear, but (ultimately) cheaper, given that it costs $15 per year to subscribe to Bear Pro.

Alvinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
I hadn't heard of UpNote before. seems a bit like Bear, but (ultimately) cheaper, given that it costs $15 per year to subscribe to Bear Pro.

UpNote is from Vietnam built by two developers. They have a lifetime purchase with cloud provided (stored in Firebase provided by Google).

A few downsides are storage limitation of attachments (20MB per note?) and resize of images, as well as questioning of whether the note service will sustain (because of indie developers and they have to pay for the cloud storage). However, the apps (even though across the platforms with mobile and tablet versions) are very outstanding with full features.

Reactions: sracer

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
  • Apple Notes for general personal notes.
  • Bear for notes for a particular project where I want to have a separate group of notes.
  • OneNote at work because its integration with outlook and other apps is outstanding. I can send my meetings to OneNote where it creates a structured note with lists of all of the meeting attendees and their status along with the attachments and the meeting description field. It makes meeting notes almost painless.
I like to segment my notes just like I segment my email. Easier to manage.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Apple Notes is all you need really. It does everything better than everything else.
Except make it easy, in the event of disaster, to access the notes on another operating system or even by another AppleID on a Mac. I prefer a note taking app which stores each note as a file readable/usable outside the app. Usually this involves markdown format for the notes.

Many other nice looking apps which use a database suffer from the same limitation. For example, Bear.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Except make it easy, in the event of disaster, to access the notes on another operating system or even by another AppleID on a Mac. I prefer a note taking app which stores each note as a file readable/usable outside the app. Usually this involves markdown format for the notes.

Many other nice looking apps which use a database suffer from the same limitation. For example, Bear.

What disaster?

Apple already does this for us.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
What disaster?
For example, if I die tomorrow, my relative who will have to pick up the technology pieces is Windows based.

Apple Notes is all you need really. It does everything better than everything else.
Another thing (and this what has really turned me off Notes, Bear, Notability, etc.): Searching.

Notes in the Notes database are only searchable from within Notes or via the Command-Space Spotlight interface. There is no way to search across the content of all your files and your Apple Notes notes in a unified way.

Apple Mail suffers from the same search issue.

Apple blocks Finder and 3rd party apps (e.g. HoudahSpot) from using Core-Spotlight indexes (used by Notes, Mail and Photos).

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
For example, if I die tomorrow, my relative who will have to pick up the technology pieces is Windows based.

Another thing (and this what has really turned me off Notes, Bear, Notability, etc.): Searching.

Notes in the Notes database are only searchable from within Notes or via the Command-Space Spotlight interface. There is no way to search across the content of all your files and your Apple Notes notes in a unified way.

Apple Mail suffers from the same search issue.

Apple blocks Finder and 3rd party apps (e.g. HoudahSpot) from using Core-Spotlight indexes (used by Notes, Mail and Photos).
BTW you (or your relative) can access your notes at the iCloud.com website, in an emergency.

Alvinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
  • Bear for notes for a particular project where I want to have a separate group of notes.
  • OneNote at work because its integration with outlook and other apps is outstanding. I can send my meetings to OneNote where it creates a structured note with lists of all of the meeting attendees and their status along with the attachments and the meeting description field. It makes meeting notes almost painless.
I tried to use two or more apps but failed because my personal notes can become projects someday.

Alvinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022

I think there are two extremes for the apps: good useful looking but locked in, and just text files without attachments. If you know Typora or Note Plan we don't need to sacrifice.

Now I prioritise my free flow of thoughts first and Apple Notes can achieve that. Export can be done manually on iA Writer because I think not every note is important, or use Exporter third-party app or request a copy from Apple (online and have to wait a day or two) just in case.

Macbookey

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2023
100% all in with Apple Notes for many years now. I like that it gets so many features every year. I think it is a great example of what Apple can do with native apps to make them for some power users, and everyday simple needs use. Reminders continues to improve like this, and I wish that Calendar and Mail would be brought on par with this approach to start with. My entire productivity system is native now.

Reactions: Tagbert and Alvinc

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
SouthEast of Northern MidWest
1) Apple Notes for short and medium turn notes. It's convenient on Apple devices. Horrible cross platform.
2) Onenote for long term notes at work. It would have been the best note taking app if Spotlight could search it.
3) I own and use both Goodnotes and Notability for PDF markup and making detailed field notes for work. I could stick with either one.

Unfortunately I never found one note taking app that works great for everything.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I was using OneNote. But, after searching for notes became problematic, I switched to Apple Notes.
There are a few things I miss about OneNote. Alas, I will continue using Apple Notes, for now :D

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
SouthEast of Northern MidWest
On Windows, MS Powertoys add a Spotlight like search functionality which will search Onenote records.

Unfortunately no such
I was using OneNote. But, after searching for notes became problematic, I switched to Apple Notes.
There are a few things I miss about OneNote. Alas, I will continue using Apple Notes, for now :D

The biggest advantage of Apple Notes is that you can search it via Spotlight on mobile devices.

Raycast has a plugin that will search in Onenote on Mac.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I stopped using Apple Notes a few years ago because they changed the search function. I have like 1500 notes and when I do a search, I want the newest notes on top. This was possible in Apple Notes but not anymore. Now the ‘most relevant’ notes come on top meaning that I see notes from years ago which are not relevant for me.

I am using UpNote now where you can sort search results the way you like.

But if you don’t have that many notes or are OK with the search function, Apple Notes is a fine app.

Reactions: sracer

Alvinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
I stopped using Apple Notes a few years ago because they changed the search function. I have like 1500 notes and when I do a search, I want the newest notes on top. This was possible in Apple Notes but not anymore. Now the ‘most relevant’ notes come on top meaning that I see notes from years ago which are not relevant for me.

I am using UpNote now where you can sort search results the way you like.

But if you don’t have that many notes or are OK with the search function, Apple Notes is a fine app.

But mine is with two top hits with other notes from the latest to oldest. What annoys me is some of the results can't shown up sometimes, say 100 notes with the keyword "Japan" Apple Notes may just show 23 results.

Even Freeform also has the same problem.

I think most other apps like UpNote, Bear and Evernote can perform that basic easily.

Freddy Fruitfly

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2017
I'm using Purelist at the moment and I'm liking the minimalistic looks of the app.

Purelist: Notes & Tasks

According to their Twitter account:

Purelist.png

nk201

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
I know many people find Notion difficult and I agree it's a bit tricky for quick notes. But it's awesome for creating organized, detailed notes. I used it a lot in college.
It's convenient to use templates to keep the same structure for all notes and you can set up a dashboard for quick access to folders

Reactions: AVBeatMan

Alvinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
I know many people find Notion difficult and I agree it's a bit tricky for quick notes. But it's awesome for creating organized, detailed notes. I used it a lot in college.
It's convenient to use templates to keep the same structure for all notes and you can set up a dashboard for quick access to folders
It's not difficult indeed but can waste a lot of time building up a homepage or dashboard because no one main page can fit lifetime. I remember they don't have traditional recent note list as others do?

Note links, smart folders, drag and drop to order folders (so you don't need to rename every folders from 0, 1, 2...) are sufficient for almost all cases of using for me.

nk201

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
It's not difficult indeed but can waste a lot of time building up a homepage or dashboard because no one main page can fit lifetime. I remember they don't have traditional recent note list as others do?

Note links, smart folders, drag and drop to order folders (so you don't need to rename every folders from 0, 1, 2...) are sufficient for almost all cases of using for me.
Yes, I agree it may be time-consuming. But depends on what you need. For me, it was worth the time it took to organize my study notes

As for the recent note list, you can use last_edited_time and created_time properties

But I agree with you that there are plenty of great apps that require less time and effort :)

Reactions: Alvinc

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yes, I agree it may be time-consuming. But depends on what you need. For me, it was worth the time it took to organize my study notes

As for the recent note list, you can use last_edited_time and created_time properties

But I agree with you that there are plenty of great apps that require less time and effort :)
Notion is indeed excellent. But if one doesn't have the discipline and self-control, endlessly tweaking the system results in a LOSS in productivity. It's such an issue that there are Youtubers who warn about it. 😁

Reactions: PlayUltimate
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.