Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Note to Mod.
There is a confusing error in the instructions.

The instructions concerning marking a thread resolved has a mistake.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/forum-feature-resolved-thread-prefix.1093283/

It says:

To change the prefix of a thread that you started:
  1. Click the Edit button under the first post in the thread.
  2. Click the gear icon above the thread to see the Thread Tools drop-down.
  3. Select the Edit Title option.
  4. Select Resolved from the drop-down in front of the thread title. If there is no drop-down, you can't change the thread prefix for that thread.
  5. Click the Save Changes button.

Instruction 1 is not valid, if you click Edit, the gear icon is no longer there, you need to click the gear icon 1st.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Here's how it now works.

To change the prefix of a thread that you started (and which is recent enough that you can still edit it):
  1. Click the gear icon above the thread to see the Thread Tools drop-down.
  2. Select the Edit Title option.
  3. Select Resolved from the drop-down in front of the thread title. If there is no drop-down, you can't change the thread prefix for that thread.
  4. Click the Save Changes button.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Here's how it now works.

To change the prefix of a thread that you started (and which is recent enough that you can still edit it):
  1. Click the gear icon above the thread to see the Thread Tools drop-down.
  2. Select the Edit Title option.
  3. Select Resolved from the drop-down in front of the thread title. If there is no drop-down, you can't change the thread prefix for that thread.
  4. Click the Save Changes button.

And is that 'gear' icon visible only if you are the person who has started the thread in question?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes. If you aren't the thread starter, there's no gear icon since you can't change anything about the thread.

Thanks a lot for taking the time & trouble to confirm this; actually, last night, I went back to a thread I had started myself just to check this out for myself and did indeed manage to find the gear icon.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.