Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys,

Sorry for such a basic question but I'm kind of in a pinch and been looking pretty much everywhere and can't find anything. I've been using a lot of notepad++ on the Windows side for programming basic web stuff in class, and I really like how easy it is to use and how it poitns out where there are errors in your code, I was wondering if there is something similar to that for OSX. I've tried BBedit but I wasn't too pleased with its in ability to save as .php

level1kid

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
you should look into komodo edit it is free and it basicly is a great IDE for HTML (and other languages) it also has a built in browser for easy testing. I don't know if this is what you wanted, as it is more to and IDE then a text editor, but you should really try it out.:)

rjbruce

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Don't forget, textwrangler is being retired - https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/02/bare-bones-software-retiring-textwrangler/

I recommend SublimeText. They offer a free trial. Atom is good and comes from Github, but found the editor to run slow on larger code bases.

I use SublimeText. It is a free trial but doesn't enforce an end period, just occasional reminder. It works across all platforms and after using it a little off and on over the years, I went ahead and purchased since I've really started using it recently for Angular and JavaScript work.

Reactions: robvas

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
If you're coming from a Microsoft environment, you might like Microsoft's Visual Studio Code:

Note to avoid confusion: Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio for Windows and Visual Studio for Mac are three completely different products.

I don't think "coming from a Microsoft environment" is relevant: VS Code is actually an Atom fork, so it will have similar pros/cons. However, it is good and I'd recommend checking it out for HTML/JavaScript/TypeScript - my impression was it needed less work "out of the box" than Atom.

rctneil

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I'd highly recommend VSCode. I've used Sublime Text and Atom. I liked Sublime but decided to try another so went with Atom. I liked that but it was super slow at times. VSCode is similar to Atom but way faster. Free and cross platform too!

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
atom.io could also be your friend -- it's multi-platform and runs on macOS, Linux and Windows.

Helpfixit

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2015
Can I suggest Code Editor for OSX.

CodeRunner can run code in 23 languages out-of-the-box, and can be easily extended to support any other language.

https://coderunnerapp.com

IMG_0328.PNG

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I love TextMate for anything plain text and most source files. It has support for all, highlights them, has bundles and great support for running commands through the files. I really have been enjoying it for years.

For most serious coding I do lean towards Sublime Text 3. It's quite nifty and alike TextMate

They aren't an IDE, but they get pretty close. While staying simple for just text editing.

heynayan

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
Hey guys,

Sorry for such a basic question but I'm kind of in a pinch and been looking pretty much everywhere and can't find anything. I've been using a lot of notepad++ on the Windows side for programming basic web stuff in class, and I really like how easy it is to use and how it poitns out where there are errors in your code, I was wondering if there is something similar to that for OSX. I've tried BBedit but I wasn't too pleased with its in ability to save as .php
[doublepost=1537003070][/doublepost]I guess there is a way to install Notepad++ for Mac like using Wine and then installing Notepad on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.