Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I'm highlighting the Notes app but overall iOS 9 has made my iPhone 6 Plus much slower. I have the latest updates etc.

What I'm specifically shocked about is Notes app. One click on the keyboard takes a second to appear on the display. If I type a 5 letter word I can watch the OS type my word out as I wait literally 5 seconds. It's brutal. Now I always try to use Notes app on my MacBook to avoid using it on my iPhone which is quite sad.

Any ideas?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 9.0.2 and keying in on my notes app is instant.
Why would mine be doing that? I have Chinese and Japanese keyboards installed as well. Do you think that has something to do with it? I never had a problem on iOS 8 though.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
On 9.1 beta 3, no issues with notes.

I have no third party keyboards. Reduce Transparency and Reduce Motion are off.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Well I don't have any third party keyboards. Just standard Apple Japanese and Chinese keyboards. But I'm not even using them when typing in English obviously so using non-English keyboards shouldn't be the cause. Anyway I will temporarily disable them and see if there's any difference.

EDIT: Nope. No difference. Still brutal lag. Wonder if I should do I factory restore.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
So I found out what the issue is. It's Notes on iOS 9 combined with 1GB RAM iPhones.

Specifically, it's when you are dealing with a massively long note. How do I know? Because I tried typing in a short note and the response was normal.

What this means is that if you do not have the lag I have it's because you do not have a note that is as long as my note. My particular note is so long I can't scroll through all of it on a phone. I have to use the desktop version of Notes to even attempt to school through all of it and even then it takes a couple of minutes. It's the same note Ive been adding to since iPhone 4.

It was never like this in iOS 8 so I know for a fact this is a 1GB RAM + iOS 9 Notes app issue. This means it's purely a RAM + iOS 9 issue.

There is no other reason for this lag period. I'm quite pissed that Apple engineers can't even develop a notes app that can handle long text and keep the performance with iPhone 6! A phone that is only months old!

And to confirm I pasted the entire note into the "Flat To-Do" reminder app and low and behold the lag was gone!

So now is there still a fanboi who is going to tell me it's not a 1GB RAM + iOS 9 issue? :cool:

I have attached a shot of the free app I used for testing incase anyone is interested. It seems quite good. If any of you have other recommendations for a cool notes app please let me know. I don't need dates or calendar UI etc. Just customizable text with iCloud syncing.

Attachments

• IMG_5722.PNG
    IMG_5722.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 345

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
3,000 is just another school essay. Like I said yours isn't NEARLY as long as mine. I guess you didn't read that part.

And you cannot explain why I have no lag in another app with the same text pasted.

There are numerous reports of iOS 9 being laggy on 1GB phones and this is obviously iOS 9 Apple app related. 3rd party apps are often written more efficiently than Apple's own apps due to using all new code, pure Swift code or other reason.

Last edited:

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I guess he's a "fanboi", because his 3000+ line note isn't bigger than yours?

Has anyone else reported this issue in the thread? It's not the 1gb of ram.

Reactions: M. Gustave

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah sorry I meant it's one of the two. i.e. either a combo of 1GB RAM + iOS 9 super long note or just iOS 9 Notes itself.

Btw, you cannot prove it's not a 1GB RAM + iOS 9 issue. But I have proven it's either the 1GB RAM + iOS 9 Notes app combo or just iOS 9 Notes.

But like you I'm more inclined to think it's just iOS 9 Notes.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
3,000 is just another school essay. Like I said yours isn't NEARLY as long as mine. I guess you didn't read that part.

And you cannot explain why I have no lag in another app with the same text pasted.

There are numerous reports of iOS 9 being laggy on 1GB phones and this is obviously iOS 9 Apple app related. 3rd party apps are often written more efficiently than Apple's own apps due to using all new code, pure Swift code or other reason.
3000 lines, not words...guess you didn't read that part.

I also found another project from a while back that came at a whopping 12,544 lines when combined together (copied and pasted the separate classes and combined them just to see if it'd slow my phone down) and my phone still doesn't lag at all...

Last edited:
Reactions: Yun0

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada

Lol yep, I'm a fanboy because my devices apparently aren't defective.

Gotta love how defensive these people get when you try to tell them that you're not having a problem with your device. There's a lot of "if I have this issue, everyone else must too" mentality around here and it's completely absurd.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Lol yep, I'm a fanboy because my devices apparently aren't defective.

Gotta love how defensive these people get when you try to tell them that you're not having a problem with your device. There's a lot of "if I have this issue, everyone else must too" mentality around here and it's completely absurd.
lol I guess if you wanna call not being a fanboi defensive sure. Just explain to me why there's no lag in a 3rd party app with the same text pasted? It's simple really. iOS 9 Notes cannot handle the length of my note. It could also be because my note contains Chinese/Japanese content and because it's poorly coded lags with that content. iOS 8 and previous OSs were fine.

Notes was re-written (doesn't mean more efficiently) for iOS 9 incase you didn't know so its obvious it's a iOS 9 Notes problem. Notes has a lot more bloat in it now with all its fancy text options.

So like I said, if you can explain why a 3rd party app can handle my note with zero lag and iOS 9 Notes can't I'd be happy to hear it.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
lol I guess if you wanna call not being a fanboi defensive sure. Just explain to me why there's no lag in a 3rd party app with the same text pasted? It's simple really. iOS 9 Notes cannot handle the length of my note. It could also be because my note contains Chinese/Japanese content and because it's poorly coded lags with that content. iOS 8 and previous OSs were fine.
Then use that app and move on. Or do we really need consistent whinging about iOS 9?

I don't have a problem with you saying that iOS 9 lags for you, but you simply need to accept that it works perfectly fine for others, including myself. If that other app works for you, congrats, use it and move on. Stop calling people fanboys because their devices work properly.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Then use that app and move on. Or do we really need consistent whinging about iOS 9?

I don't have a problem with you saying that iOS 9 lags for you, but you simply need to accept that it works perfectly fine for others, including myself. If that other app works for you, congrats, use it and move on. Stop calling people fanboys because their devices work properly.
Where did I say you are a fanboi because yours works? Btw, you cannot say yours works unequivocally. Thats like a pilot saying the plane was fine before it crashed when it wasn't fine. He just didn't encounter the same conditions to make the plane crash as the unfortunate pilot. i.e. the fuel line was weak but didn't rupture until the 2nd pilot flew the plane.

There are numerous reports of people experiencing iOS 9 app specific lag. This is obviously the case.

I noticed you still can't explain how a 3rd party app has no issues with my note.

Last edited:

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
He put 12,544 lines in the notes app and he has no issues. How many lines does he have to put in the app, so you can be satisfied that it isn't the 1gb of ram? That's a huge amount of notes right there.

I get your frustration, but nobody else is reporting this in the notes app.

Last edited:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Well are you saying there are no iOS 9 issues? if so, yes you are a fanboi.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
The pilot analogy works both ways; you can't say it's an iOS 9 + iPhone 6 issue just because you had it happen on your device.

I'm saying it's not a RAM issue, and not because I'm a fanboy (seriously, get over yourself) but because I'm a software engineer and know better than that. Text really isn't as RAM intensive as you think. :rolleyes:

Reactions: M. Gustave and Yun0

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
He put 12,544 lines in the notes app and he has no issues. How many lines does he have to have, so you can be satisfied that it isn't the 1gb of ram? That's a huge amount of notes right there.

I get your frustration, but nobody else is reporting this in the notes app.
Does it contain Chinese and Japanese too? I added that to my post a while back. And again a 3rd party app has zero lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.